Mayo Hospital was established 1871 as part of clinical teaching component of King Edward Medical College, Lahore. During 19th century, Eye & ENT were under a single professional chair. In 1939 Lt. Col. Dick was the first Ophthalmologist to establish an Eye / ENT ward (Lahore Ward). The Second chair of professor was created in 1973 and third chair was created in 2000.
In 1948 Eye & ENT were separated and Professor Ramzan Ali Syed became the first head of Ophthalmic Unit.
The purpose built Institute of Ophthalmology was built in 1984 to meet the ever increasing demands of teaching and training, the undergraduates, Postgraduates and to cater for the ophthalmic needs of ever increasing population of Lahore and Punjab.
Institute of Ophthalmology has 168 beds with diagnostic and management facilities for Cataract, Glaucoma, Squint, Vitreo Retinal diseases, Orbital and oculoplastic disorders Laser Facilities, Specimen Museum, Refraction, and Conference Room for CME.
Laser Therapy, B-Scan, Biometry Hess Screen and Visual Fields are being done routinely, whereas sophisticated tests not available in any other public sector hospital like HRT, OCT, ERG are also available
Group Photo Faculty Members
Name, Designation, Qualification
- Asad Aslam Khan, Professor & Head Eye Unit III, MS (Ophthalmology), Ph.D(Ophthalmology)
- Sardar Muhammad Ali Ayaz, Assistant Professor, MD(USA), FCPS, FAAPOS(Harvard, USA), Fellowship in Paediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismais (UK).
- Suhail Sarwar, Assistant Professor of Diagnostic Ophthalmology, MS (Opthalmology)
- Ashal Pal, Consultant Paediatric Ophthalmology, FRCS(UK), FPO(UK)
- Ch. Nasir Ahmed, Senior Registrar, FCPS (Pak), FICO (Munich), Fellowship in Vitreoretina (Switzerland)
- Junaid Afzal Senior Registrar FCPS (PAK), Fellowhip in Vitreoretina (Singapore)
- Tehseen Mahmood Mahju, Senior Registrar, MS (Ophthalmology)
- Imran Ahmad Sr. Medical Officer DOMS, MPH
- Muhammad Azam, Sr. Medical Officer, Msc (CEH)
- Rana M. Mohsin Javaid, Registrar.
- Daily OPD, Ward and OT teaching for medical under graduates
- Daily clinical training of Allied Vision Sciences Personnel (Optometrists, Orthoptists, Investigative Ophthalmic technologists, Ophthalmic Technicians and Ophthalmic Nurses.
- Weekly seminar Saturday morning at 8:30 A.M. for post graduates in preparation for their final post graduate examination (MS, FCPS, FRCS, MCPS, DOMS)
- Group discussion, tutorial for clinical case presentation by post graduates
- Daily ward rounds, discussions for residents
- Manual Small Incision Cataract Extraction training programme for District Ophthalmologists
- Training of District Ophthalmologists in Diabetic, Paediatric & Glaucoma research centers
- Hands on Training of District Ophthalmologists in Phaco emulsification, Oculoplastics, Vitreoretina.
- OPD: Twice a week, on Saturdays and Wednesdays.
- General OPD
- Specific clinics
- Paediatric Ophthalmology Clinic
- Glaucoma Clinic
- Centre for control of Diabetes related Blindness / Vitreoretina clinic
- Low vision Clinic
- Diagnostic (FFA, Ultrasonography etc)
- Outreach Activities (Eye Camps)