Since its founding in 1940 as Radium institute, Oncology Department is actively participating in patient care and education of both undergraduate and Postgraduate students. Our education programs train future physicians and scientists, and the knowledge and experience they gain at King Edward Medical University and affiliated institutes has an impact on cancer treatment and biomedical research around the world. Many landmark clinical trials have been carried here and research has been the hallmark of our center. Being pioneer oncology institute, We have the honor to serve the heaviest load of cancer patients coming to us from every corner of the country. We register more than 2500 new patients a year and have a full range of inpatient, day care and outpatient facilities. .All the modalities needed to treat cancer including chemotherapy, radiotherapy and brachytherapy are available under one roof and we offer treatment for all types of solid and hematological malignancies. Our unit consists of 66 general ward beds and 6 isolation rooms for leukemia patients. Our team of hardworking and passionate doctors and skilled staff works round the clock to manage wide variety of cancer patients.
Our objective is to decrease the morbidity, agony and mortality due to cancer through outstanding programs that integrate compassionate patient care, research and prevention. We shall be the premier cancer center in Pakistan, our mission is to provide future leadership in the research for prevention, treatment and cure of the cancer through education for undergraduate and graduate students, trainees, professionals, employees and the public for cost effectiveness in patient care, outreach programs, research and education.
Oncology and Radiotherapy department of King Edward Medical University is recognized for postgraduate training of MD (clinical Oncology) and FCPS (Medical Oncology) residents. A structured teaching and training program of four years duration for MD (Clinical Oncology), in accordance with the syllabus and curriculum outlined by the King Edward Medical University Lahore, which includes clinical teachings, lectures, demonstrations, seminars, and clinic-pathologic conferences, tumor boards with most emphasis on research work. They acquire the skill and learn the knowledge required to practice their profession as a teacher and consultant in the field of clinical Oncology.
We also accept the trinees for the Diploma in Medical Radiotherapy (DMRT), a training program of eighteen-month duration, in accordance with the syllabus and curriculum outlined by the University of Health Sciences.
Moreover, Undergraduate students of MBBS also have their mandatory rotations to learn the basics of oncology. We have another four years undergraduate program, B.Sc (Hons) Radiotherapy, under the flagship of Allied Health Sciences, KEMU Lahore which is aimed to produce radiation technologists. This program addresses the radiation therapy techniques in variety of cancers with the application of basic knowledge of applied physics, anatomy, imaging, and radiobiology and radiation protection. The candidate performs a series of practical work in 590 assigned hours.
Synopsis of MD Post Graduate Residents:
- Response evaluation of patients with Stage II & Stage III Rectal carcinoma with Concomitant use of 5-FU, Folinic Acid and Oxaliplatin with Radiotherapy Compared to 5-FU & Folinic acid with Radiotherapy.
- Comparison of the response of chemo-Radiation with Radiation alone in patients with cord compression due to vertebral metastasis.
- Response of hydroxyurea and Methotrexate compared to Cisplatin and 5-FU in locally advanced or metastatic SCC of head & neck in paliiative setting.
- Comparison of efficacy of temozolomide & Radiotherapy with Radiotherapy alone in patients with locally advance soft tissue sarcoma after two cycles of neo-adjuvant chemotherapy with ifosfamide and doxorubicin.
- To evaluate the response of concomitant chemo-radiation therapy using low dose daily cisplatin in unrespectable locally advanced SCC of head and neck.