original idea for the establishment of a medical college for the
undivided Punjab was placed before the Imperial Government in 1857,
but shelved because of 'War of Independence', The need was so great
that is was decided to make the beginning by establishing a Medical
School in 1860. At that time the only other Medical School in Indo-Pakistan
Sub-Continent was situated in Calcutta. In August, 1860, Dr. IB.
Scriven of the General Hospital in Calcutta was invited to become
the Principal of the proposed Lahore Medical School, which was to
be the second such Institution in Indo Pakistan Sub-Continent.
Scriven with Dr. Smith, a Civil Surgeon, conducted the first Matriculation
Examination on the 1st of November, 1860 having arrived in Lahore
on 10th of October, 1860. The classes were to be held in and English
20 students qualified for the Hindustani class in initial examination
while a000nother qualifying examination was held on the 15th November,
1860 allowing 24 more students to qualify for the class thus producing
a total of 44 students for the Hindustani class. only 5 students were
enrolled for the English Class of which only 2 persisted on the College
Rolls after a year; one European, and one Indian, English was not
widely known in the province at that time.
Dr. I.B. Scriven
keeping with the modest beginning, the newly created institution
was designated as Lahore Medical School and started functioning
in Artillery Barracks at the present site of the Government College,
with a Hospital located in a foreign stable near the present Tibbi
Police station in Taxali Gate, almost a mile away from the college.
This arrangement according to Dr. Scriven was most inconvenient
and insufficient for the needs of the community. In October, 1860
the hospital had 56 patients.
only posts sanctioned by the Government in the beginning were
those of the Principal , who started teaching Anatomy, Physiology;
and a Professor ( Dr. T.E. Burton Brown) who commenced his lectures
on Chemistry, Materia Medica and Botany Dr. Smith who had spent
several years in the Punjab was put Incharge of the Hindustani
Classes and was assisted by Mr. Harrison. Dr. Mohammad Hussain
Khan and sub-assistant surgeon Rahim Khan. Dr. Neil , the Garrison
Assistant Surgeon in Lahore was appointed as Assistant Professor
to teach Anatomy. The school soon gained in popularity which was
evidenced by the steady increase in the member of students which
rose to 40 by the year 1870 in English Classes and 87 in the Hindustani
students passed the native Doctor's Examination in 1863 and one
student by the name of John Andrews passed the Sub Assistant Surgeons
examination in 1865. In 1864 15 vacancies had been created for
the students from the North Western Frontier Province to make
up the deficiencies of the Pushto speaking doctors. The same year,
College and the hospital was shifted to Shah Alami Gate, which
was nearer to the Civil Hospital in Anarkali and provided more
opportunities for the study of the patients and postmortem cases.
One of the main difficulties of the newly created Lahore Medical
School was to popularize Western medicine against superstition,
quackery and indigenous healing arts in a custom ridden society.
This acted as concert with a lack of foresight of a Government
unwilling to loosen their money purse strings. However according
to the Principal report of 1868 during the 1867 Cholera Epidemic,
fresh native doctors were sent to the affected areas and by virtue
of their sound training and working habits alleviated the previously
severe misery faced by their fellow countrymen and generated good
will and acceptance for themselves in the society.
1868 the Senate of the University of Dublin granted students of
the Lahore Medical School " privilege similar to the granted
to students from English Schools" , who have not passed the
college of Surgeons of England. This along with the establishment
of Gilchrist Scholarships opened up avenues of further studies
for Punjabi students.
Lieutenant Governor of the Punjab, Mr. 0 F. Mcleod in his departing
report for 1869-70 expressed his pleasure at the progress of the
school and felicitated Dr. Scriven and his team. He hoped that the
Government would do its part by providing more staff and money to
the school, whose graduates, though considered by some to be somewhat
concerted were as proficient as any in rest of India.
present famous Mayo Hospital building was completed in 1870. It
was opened in 1871 and was named after the Earl of Mayo, the then
Viceroy. The Architect Purdon designed the building and Roy Bahadur
Kanhaya Lal was the Engineer. The new Hospital, building was built
in Italian style, double storied, bricked with Delhi stone brackets,
a sloped slate roof, ventilating turrets. The new building cost
RS. 1.58,951/- with a contribution of RS. 1,00,000/- from the Government
of India and RS. 26,697/- from the Lahore Municipality and rest
was made up by the Punjab Government. Patients from Anarkali Dispensary
shifted in May, 1871 resulting in better patient care and more medico-legal
cases for study by the students. Simultaneously the Civil Surgeon
was relieved of the task of attending the Anarkali Dispensary except
for Police cases. In October, 1871 Earl of Mayo, Viceroy of India
visited the Hospital and in memory of his visit the Hospital was
named as Mayo Hospital.
1870, the Medical School had been granting its own diplomas to Sub-assistant
Surgeons and native doctors. With the opening of the Punjab University
College that year, it was. arranged so that the new College would
undertake the conduct of examination and granting of University
diplomas. The first such examination was held in October, 1871 by
Diploma in Medicine. During the next 13 years the Punjab University
College awarded diplomas to 145 successful students. It is matter
of interest to note that the Medical College has a longer history
than the University of the Punjab, and the relationship between
the two has always been cordial and cooperative. The College was
then as now independent in all affairs in teaching and administration
except for conducting examinations.
1871, the number of applicants had overtaken the number of available
vacancies. That year, 190 candidates applied for 40 vacancies.
The Hindustani class was composed of people in government service
or those supported by various local funds, the former being inducted
by competitive examination. The language of instruction in this
class was Urdu.
saw the establishment of a Hakims Class consisting of sons and
relatives of Hakims with some knowledge of Unani medical system.
This formed another division of the Hindustani class with emphasis
of Anatomy and Surgery to fill the vacuum in the Unani system regarding
these branches of modern medical science.
Lahore medical School was moved from the old barracks to the erstwhile
Railway Hostel near the Mayo Hospital, a more spacious building.
Its large stables comprising nine stall, harness rooms and a coach
house were converted into a dissection room and an injection room.
The move was effected in a single day, without any damage or interruption
first group of students from the North western Province was admitted
in 1864. As the production of Sub-Assistant Surgeons was expected
to outstrip the demand by the Punjab Government, half the scholarships
for the English class were earmarked for students from the North
T.E. Burton Brown, the Principal in 1875, had for some time been
pressing for a new school building, but the government replied with
their usual answer of lack of funds to do so . This was in spite
of the contribution of the School towards the welfare of the government
by producing 52 Assistant Surgeons and 215 Hospital Assistants for
government service. The public and the government were conscious
of the performance of the School and the esteem in which it was
held, but this did not stop the Lieutenant Governor from charging
the graduates with a lack of refinement and their behavior towards
the patients being" not kindly and considerate", though
he could not find fault with their medical training.
class for training Civil Hospital Assistants to serve under the
government was an important addition to the school. Eight students
joined in 1879. The Nawab of Bahawalpur instituted the Grey Scholarship
worth RS. 10,000 in honour of Major Grey, a former Political Agent
continuous supply of graduates to the Armed Forces started with
15 fresh Assistant Surgeons volunteering for military duty with
the Kabul Forces in 1882. The same year, a Midwifery class for 'dais'
was started. In 1883, this class had only two Muslims out of a total
of 20 midwives; the English class had eight Muslim in a class of
61 in 1883, and 12 Muslims out of 82 in 1885. The dropout rate in
1883 was 16% in the English class and 24% in the Hindustani class.
This led to the prescription of more stringent tests for admission.
first building of the Medical School was built in the same style
as the Mayo Hospital. it was completed in 1883. The next year, a
nursing class was also started. Women students were allowed to register
for regular courses in the same class as men for the first time.
Hilton Executive Engineer, Lahore designed and constructed a new
dissection room in 1887. Student's debating society was formed.
Staff and students read and discussed medical and scientific papers.
Prizes were awarded for essay writing.
The Marchioness of Dufferin and Anna inaugurated the Lady Aitchison
Hospital and distributed prizes, Students admitted into the Indian
Medical Service, demonstrating the School's increasing recognition.
Four Assistant Surgeons had been previously admitted.
Lt. Col. S.A. Browne 1889-1903
Punjab University, was formally created on the 14th of October;
1882 . It had a Faculty of Medicine to function as a body to hold
examination and confer diplomas and degrees upon graduates of the
institution came to be known as the Lahore Medical College in 1886.
Till 1887, The University awarded the diploma of Licentiate in Medicine
to candidates graduating through the English class for western medical
science. Students studied for the title of Hakim Haziq , Umdat ul
Hukama, Zubdat ul Hukama under the Unani system, in the vernacular.
Under the Ayurvedic system, the titles were Vaida' Bhishak, and
Maha Bhishak. In May 1888, however, the 28 Unani and 8 Vedic system
students were transferred with their teachers to the Medical School.
Their numbers continued to diminish. The end of 1898 brought another
migration for them, to the Islamia and DAV Colleges respectively.
This left the Lahore Medical College with only students studying
the western medical sciences.
first College Day was held in the college library on the 5th. of
November, 1888. The Lieutenant Governor of the Punjab presided.
Faculty of Medicine prepared a series of Regulations for the Bachelor
and Doctor of Medicine degree examinations. The First degrees were
conferred in 1891, when the title of the inferior diploma was changed
the Licentiate in Medicine and Surgery. Miss. H. Connor was the
first woman student to pass the final examination of the Licentiate
in medicine and surgery of the Punjab University, in 1889, but she
had only a few more months to live. In November, lady Landsdowne
laid the foundations of Lady Lyall's Home, a new hostel for 30 women
outstanding student of the College was Muhammad Abdul Ghani; admitted
after his BA from the Punjab University, who compiled a Botany test
while a student in medical college and was recommended for the Gilchrist
scholarship. That year, 1890, lady Lyall's Home was completed. Mrs.
Hammond was the first lady Superintendent.
alumni of this institution joined the Indian Medical Service after
successful completion of advanced studies in England. They were
placed 3rd and 14th. on the merit list of 14 successful candidates
out of 45 applicants for the Service.
cater for the increasing numbers of students, 322 in 1892, an additional
Professor for the Chair of Materia Medica and Pathology was appointed
by the Secretary of State for India. There were now eight professor
compared to 14 in the Calcutta college. The Anatomy museum was granted
Lt. Col. F.F. Perry
was noted that the pass percentage in annual examinations had greatly
decreased. According to the Principals report for 1893-94, the causes
a ) deficient preliminary education:
inadequate numerical strength of College teachers
a defective educational system.
in the professional staff in 1895 led to a fall in the number of
students clearing the clinical subjects. Written examinations were
conducted by professors from other medical colleges in the country.
It was suggested that internal examiners play a greater part in
the assessment of the students' performance. The University required••
candidates to secure at least 50% marks to pass the examinations,
rendering the process a mechanical test ability. Furthermore many
students failed the tests by only one mark.
general public and other students were also disturbed with the university's
record, since an increment in the number of failures could be seen
in all the examinations of the University and not the medical ones
alone. Consensus said that examinations at all stages were too difficult
for a " youth of ordinary ability", though he be well
taught. The results, it was said, were not comparable with those
of other universities as the passing mark was higher in the Punjab,
markedly so for the higher examination, whereas the standard of
question papers fluctuated greatly. The government decided to lower
the standard and bring it at par with the other Indian Universities
to allow more students to pass. However, as the entrance examination
was considered an inappropriate criterion to judge the academic
suitability of students in a milieu where education was not sufficiently
advanced, the next year the University Senate decided upon the Intermediate
examination in Arts as the minimum entrance requirement, to be effected
from 1897. This would prompt an increase in the pass percentage
and raise standards, albeit there was a temporary decrease in the
number of students on the rolls.
building housing the Post- mortem theatre and a small two room Pathology
laboratory was built in 1895.
the last five years of the 1800's the minimum entrance requirement
for the Assistant Surgeon for the Assistant Surgeon class was raised
to the intermediate Science or the First Arts examinations. A preliminary
scientific examination was instituted for the second year of this
class. Also a class was started for the training of selected Ward
the turn of the century, a College for university degree and diploma
courses and a School for Health Assistants could be discerned under
the blanket of this institution. A class for compounders was started
in April 1901. In the College department, 55 students received scholarships
from the Punjab government, governments of the North western and
Central Provinces, Municipal committee and duffer in Funds, In the
School department, 170 received stipends. RS.l 00,000 were finally
sanctioned for a hostel.
the official affiliation of the College with the Punjab University
in 1906, the primary science teaching was transferred to the Government
College, relieving the Professor of Anatomy and Physiology of a
heavy burden. The concomitant revision of Medical Regulations and
updating by the University increased the strain on the staff with
a resultant addition of the following during 1908-09:-
Professor of Midwifery and diseases of women.
Professor of Ophthalmic Surgery and Disease of the Ear, Nose &Throat.
Assistant to the Professor of Medicine.
to the Professor of Materia Medica Assistant to the Professor of
Meanwhile, in spite of rising expenditure, there had been a fall
in the number of students and a sustained low pass percentage in
examinations. The differing viewpoints of the academicians and the
bureaucrats regarding the function and problems of this institution
can been seen in the correspondence between the Inspector General
of Hospitals and the Principal. The former had expressed apprehension
at the low pass percentage from both the College and the School,
resulting in difficulty in filling vacancies, particularly on the
military side fed by the School, and asked for measures to reverse
the trend . He also questioned the efficiency of the College since
expenditure had increased despite fewer students.
to the Principal, the fall in the average number of students on
college rolls was due to several reasons. New Medical Regulations
had been introduced by the University and enforced without the usual
two years notice. Thus, at the time of applying for entrance, many
students found themselves ineligible because they had either not
done their Intermediate Science course or not taken the Biology
and Chemistry tests now required. Also, the admission date had been
changed with the Government College academic year starting in May
whereas College Classes always started in October, Moreover, there
had been a delay in informing intending applicants through the government
gazette and public newspapers. This, compounded by a misunderstanding
as to whether the government or the College would admit new entrants,
led to many students missing the closing date, or , if in other
provinces, being not admitted altogether.
the number of applicants still exceeded the available vacancies.
The number of free students was curtailed because of a lack of cadavers
for dissection. The principal was in favors of increasing the"
pay prospects and status of the Hospital Assistant class as a whole,"
to offer them an incentive.
considering the maintenance cost, it should be remembered that the
School and College catered for the needs of the whole of Northern
and Central India and Burma, producing University graduates as well
as hakims, hospital assistants, hospital orderlies, nurses and dais.
1906-11, the Chemical Examiner vacated several rooms on his departure
from the College premises. A separate Department of Physiology came
into being and separate museums of Materia Medica, Hygiene and Midwifery
scarcity of cadavers for dissection and only one hospital to provide
patients for study by students of both the College and the School
impinged upon the efficiency of the institution, with consequent
restriction of new admission. This was inspite of an increased popularity
of sub assistant Surgeon diploma classes due to increased pay and
raised status recently granted them.
were diverted with the transfer of the preliminary science teaching
to the science colleges and the opening of a new Medical College
in Lucknow which claimed finances from the United and Central Provinces.
To remedy the falling numbers of successful candidates, test examinations
were instituted and only students clearing these were allowed to
appear for the university examinations. This proved effective, as
shown by the improved pass percentage in the 1911-12 examinations.
Lt. Col. D.W. Sutherland
professors for pathology, Ophthalmic Surgery, Midwifery and Diseases
of Women were added to the staff with the splitting of the Chair
of Materia Medical and Pathology. Also enlisted were Assistants
to the Professors of Physiology, Medicine and Materia Medica;
three Clinical Assistants to the Professors of Surgery, Ophthalmic
Surgery and Midwifery; and Demonstrator in Anatomy.
financial handicap of the College was at last acknowledged and
it was sought to rectify the situation by taking advantage of
the King Edward Medial Memorial Fund. A public meeting on the
31st. of July, 1910 approved the proposals for the construction
of a new, bigger Medical College and the expansion of its attached
hospitals: the Mayo, The Albert Victor and the Lady Aitchison.
The foundation stone of the Mayo Hospital extension as part of
the King Edward VII Memorial was laid on the 21st of December,
Col. Sutherland, the Principal, felt that a second chance should
be given to students who had not cleared the Biology and Chemistry
tests in the first attempt, to enable them to be eligible for entrance
to the College. The University did not agree with his proposal submitted
in 1912, but the Supplementary examinations were instituted later
The paucity of Lady Doctors needed to run Zanana Hospitals and Dispensaries
was also noted by the Principal. Many girls of good families did
not" care to read in the classes with boy students" Women
from the Ludhiana Medical School were to be encourage to join the
the 12th. of February, 1913, the students went on strike, till the
28th. of February. Consequently, four striking students were detained
for a year and the scholarships of six were forfeited. An Enquiry
Committee was appointed by the Punjab Government but its reports
is unavailable and the grievances of the students are not clear.
The strikewas perhaps triggered off by uncomplimentary remarks in
British newspapers about Indian students studying in Great Britain
and Scotland, who had acquired professional distinction. The Principal
refused to approach higher authorities with the indignation of the
students at the press comments. Ninety of the military class students
were rusticated, though the conduct of the school students was reported
to be satisfactory.
Professor of Operative Surgery was appointed in 1915. Three assistant
Surgeons were appointed as demonstrators in Anatomy and Physiology
and a lecturer in Pathology. Tutorial groups were started with the
increments in staff. Work had started on the medical college extension
project in 1914. The research block comprised the new Pathology, Physiology,
and Hygiene Departments. The Viceroy, Lord Haringe of Penhurst, inaugurated
the main block in 1915 on the tenth of November, Extensions to the
Materia Medica and Anatomy block were also completed.
Lt. Col. H.Ainsworth
the expansion of the College and its rolls and the reversion of
many staff members to military during the first World War, the
burden on the rest of the staff increased greatly. The Principal
proposed to the government the separation of the duties of the
Principal of the College and the superintendent of the Hospital.
Though space would soon become scarce again, the completion of
the new College buildings brought temporary relief. The K.E.M.C.
Patiala Block: administrative offices, a large library –
cum examination hall, four lecture theatres, a museum, a council
room and common rooms for staff and students,
(b) Bahawalpur block: the pathology Department on the ground floor
and the Physiology Department on the first floor each with a lecture
theatre, practical classrooms, work rooms, etc. Rooms on the first
floor were reserved for a Hygiene Department.
(c) Faridkot Block: a complete unit for teaching Anatomy. (d)
Kapurthala Block: the Department of materia Medica.
(e) A cold storage block with separate Pathology and medicolegal
and more applications were being received for admission each year:
the number had doubled over the previous five years. The military
department alone required ninety new graduates every year. Hence
Punjab civil and Burma entrants were cut down from 15 to 10, with
no admissions for potential privately financed students from Indian
states and Municipalities.
This led to frustration for the rejected applicants and also left
the governments requirements unfulfilled. The College and School
vied with each other for the lion's share of vacancies and facilities.
the only, option left was something that had been urged over the
years, namely, shifting the School to Amritsar, which had a big
hospital and a large number of unclaimed bodies available for
dissection. The separation or-the College and School was effected
in October, 1920. The next year, the College rolls listed 439
students as against 231 in 1916.
was no special provident fund for the staff then, though some
did subscribe to the general government provident fund. Students
were not medically examined. The tutorial group system, besides
being of academic value, played a social role with a close and
intimate contact between students and teachers, and provided a
substitute for formal religious and moral instruction. In contrast
to other universities in the country, there was no communal prejudice
in the KEMC. and the political unrest did not affect its placed
working. Only two students participated in the non-cooperation
movement and left the College.
instruction in Midwifery, students from this college used to go
to Madras. Since the maximum number of students entertained was
60, either the number of admissions had to be limited to around
60 or some provision for teaching midwifery had to be made in
Lahore. This situation was brought to a head when the Government
of Madras discontinued receiving KEMC students in 1925-26. A temporary
maternity hospital was set up for practical midwifery classes
till the expected completion of a permanent hospital in 1927.
The entries in 1924 were restricted to 75 students.
university regulation requiring students to attend 20 midwifery
cases under adequate supervision precipitated another fall in
the number of admissions in those years. In 1928-29, 18 students
less than the previous years were admitted: the number of Muslims
fell from 182 to 168. The next year, there were 153 Muslims as
against 265 non-Muslims. However, in 1928-29, a total of 26 pupils
were trained at the temporary maternity hospital in Lahore.
Col. Harper-Nelson, in his annual Principal's report for 1932-33,
discussed the situation of the College at length. He said he realized
that his proposals, such as those for a Pharmacology Department
extension, swimming pool, better hostels and playing fields, entailed
expense, but it was up to the government to devise means to meet
the expenditure. The College had always been a victim of the government's
financial stringency in spite of a continuous voicing of demands
for adequate financing and having proved its worth to the government
and the people. It was necessary, he said to bolster the College
and provide a sound superstructure for the welfare of the Province.
He noted that no improvement either in accommodation or facilities
had taken place over the past year, which was probably the worst
in the history of the College in this respect.
the other hand, a questionnaire had been issued, which was a virtual
indictment of the College. In replying to this scrutiny, his office
staff had to work six weeks, nights and holidays included. This
questionnaire had created a sense of insecurity in the staff and
diverted their energies to worrying about their future and performance
instead of devoting them to constructive purposes.
Lt. Col. J.J.Harper-Nelson
Lt. Col..H.H. Broome
Col. Harper-Nelson pointed out that the reputation of the College
was widespread; applications for undergraduate studies had been
received from, South America, Jamaica, Hong Kong, The Malay States,
and Rome, Former students had obtained the MRCP ( London & Edinburgh),
FRCS ( England and Edinburgh), Diplomas in Public Health, Tropical
Medicine, Hygiene, Midwifery and Diseases of the Eye. These successes
of alumni abroad pointed to a deep understanding of medical teaching
in their almamater which was jeopardized by financial strangulation.
A special mention was made of the deficient resources of the materia
medica Department in the report.
report spoke of the success of the mixed classes with 20 women on
the rolls, but said that proper accommodation and comfort must be
provided to the ladies, like at other institutions, in the country,
and they be protected from untoward influences.
Government Hospital for women and children had been officially opened
by the Countess of Willingdon, on March 11 1933 and named after
her. It had provided training in and Obstetrics to the college students
for two years, but the building had only now been completed. However,
it did not have enough beds to cater for all the students and was
so far off as to interfere with their attendance at classes in the
Demands for an expansion of the Lady Willingdon Hospital fell on
deaf ears. To add insult to injury, the Indian medical Council in
its turn criticized the College. The problem was that students received
Practical Midwifery training in batches of five at a time due to
a lack of accommodation and they could be kept for only 24 days.
This fell short of the month of attendance required by regulations.
Consequently, the College was disaffiliated in 1930 and as a compensation
for space shortage, admission were cut from 75 to 60.
the College catered, besides Punjab, for the North west Frontier
Province, Delhi Province, Baluchistan Administration, Jammu and
Kashmir State and Punjab States, of the 75 normal seats, Punjab
students were allotted 55 Seats, 20 being reserved for students
from the other areas. About 300 applications were received from
the Punjab every year.
Director General, India Medical Service, wrote a letter of appreciation
of the college staff, but it served only to cover up the Scrooge
like attitude of the administration towards the institution.
1935 the College celebrated the completion of its 75 years of existence
in November, despite the refusal of the government to grant RS.
6000 for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
Lt. Col. T.A. Hughes 1935-1936
was a banquet, sports, dinners, concerts, illuminations. His Excellency
the Governor of the former Punjab attended with his Ministers and
Heads of Departments. The college was eulogized in speeches. Public
commendation was forthcoming.
his report for 1935-36, the Principal again complained of lack of
Lt. Col. Harper- Nelson was unable to continue because of ill health.
he went on leave preparatory to retirement in November 1935.
The College was again recognized for the MMBS degree by the General
Medical Council of Great Britain in 1936 with retrospective effect.
The DLO postgraduate course was started . The BDS degree was also
instituted by the Punjab University. Construction of a swimming
tank was started, financed by the Students Fund. Capt. Illahi Buksh
Joined as the Professor of Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
Materia Medica Block was extended in 1937-38. Women students were
awarded a number of scholarships from the Countess of Dufferin Fund,
bringing the total scholarships to 64. An Embryology section was
opened in the Anatomy department. Dr. Riyaz-e-Qadeer was the only
staff member to pass the primary FRCS(Eng.) examination held in
Bombay. A physical instructor and a chemist were appointed.
work, hitherto fore restricted along with other facilities, was
being emphasized RS.7000 were allocated by the government for research
on pneumonia in 1939. X-ray films were added to the Anatomy Department
to aid teaching. An applied Therapeutics course was started for
the Final Year students. Practical demonstrations in rural sanitation
were arranged to impart pragmatic training and improve rural health
visiting team from England held the teaching of Anatomy and Physiology
to be equivalent to that in some of the best medical schools in
Lt. Col. A. M. Dick
The British Medical Association ( Punjab branch) arranged a series
of lectures on important subjects of Medicine.The outbreak of the
Second World War brought the students forward to volunteer in a
body to serve the government. The Principal immediately organized
a Medical College Ambulance Corps which completed its training with
a deputed army sergeant major in February. Air-raid precaution classes
were held. Women students trained for first aid with the Red Cross.
The nursing staff also organized working parties to join the provincial
Red Cross Society
Lt. Col. P.B. Bhatrucha
1036 - 1939
College was making a substantial contribution towards the Indian
Army Medical Corps. A joint conference of the medical specialists
of the north western army and central common was held in the college
in January, 1944. The College rolls registered a gradual fall in
numbers during this time.
purchased a plot worth Rs.400,000 and earmarked it for the expansion
of the college, the principal pressing for a Biochemistry laboratory
and a Photographic Department for Pathology. Revision of the teaching
terms of the College started in order to economize the students
Anatomy Department encouraged its staff members to engage in more
research and postgraduate work, but frequent transfers of the junior
teachers and a heavy workload hampered endeavors in this direction.
The Department of Pharmacology taught pharmacy, Pharmaceutics and
Pharmacology jointly with the University, the Professor of the Department
also being the head of the University's Pharmaceutical section.
Lt. Col. V.R. Mirajker
Pathology Department catered to various government and aided hospitals,
dispensaries and charitable hospitals in the provinces, which formed
the bulk of its work. More local laboratories were being established,
but with an increase in both the diagnostic services of the Department
and the number of charitable institutions eligible for free service
at this laboratory, the examinations carried out, numbered 22, 542
as against 19,053 the previous year. In 1945-46, a full time biochemist
was sanctioned to aid the Professor in teaching Chemical Pathology
and running the laboratory.
establishment of a mobile research unit for epidemiological research
was sanctioned with effect from the following financial year.
Col. Harper nelson was succeeded by Lt. Col. T.A. Hughes who remained
Principal for only a year and died in 1936. He was succeeded by
Lt. Col. P.B. Barucha who was Principal till 1939 when he was appointed
Inspector General of Civil Hospitals, Punjab and was succeeded by
Lt. Col. A.M. Dick as Principal. Lt. Col. Mirajker took the Chair
of Surgery and It. Col. B.S. Nat became Professor of Operative Surgery.
Lt. Col. Barucha had served the College with distinction as Professor
of Anatomy and later as Professor of Surgery Lt. Col. Dick retired
in 1941 and was succeeded by Lt. Col. V. R. Mirajker who retired
as Principal in 1941.
April 1942 Lt. Col. N. S. Hayes took over as Principal and continued
until 10 December 1944 when he died in harness. Lt. Col. Hayes had
served the college with distinction first as Professor of Physiology
and then as Professor of Midwifery and Gynecology.
Lt. Col. S. Sargood Fry 1944-1947
Midwifery and Gynecology Museum at the Lady Willingdon Hospital
is a permanent reminder of his great services. Lt. Col. Hayes was
succeeded by Lt. Col. A. Sargood Fry as Principal and Dr. M. Black
assumed charge as Professor of Midwifery and Gynecology on the 2od.
Lt. Col. S.H. Hayes 1942-1944
Col. Fry went on leave preparatory to retirement in June 1947 and
was succeeded by Lt. Col. B.S. Nat. Dr. Amir ud Din was appointed
Professor of Clinical Surgery on transfer from Amritsar and Lt.
Col. S.M.K. Mallick who was Principal and Professor of Medicine
in Glancy Medical College Amritsar was appointed as Professor of
Medicine in place of Dr. Yar Muhammad Khan who retired on the 30th
Lt. Col. B.S. Nat
Shujaat Ali, Riyaz-i.Qadeer, M.A. Pirzada and A. Hamid Sheikh took
over as Professor of Physiology, Clinical Surgery, Clinical Medicine
and Pathology respectively. Dr. M. Bashir was Professor of Ophthalmology
Ear, Nose,& Throat and Dr. Amir ud Din took over as Professor
of Surgery. Lt. Col. lllahi Bakhsh remained Principal from 1947
until his retirement except for a short period in 1955 when Lt.
Col. S.M.K. Mallick was Principal
the time of partition out of 489 students in the College, 234 were
Hindus and Sikhs, who migrated to Indian Universities in 1947 and
228 Muslims and Christian students joined King Edward Medical College,
Lahore from Indian Institutions. The migrations to King Edward Medical
College were as follows:-
Glancy Medical College Amritsar 165 including 50 students of LMS
II. Women Christian Medical College, Ludhiana 7 LMS class students
including one student of LSMF class.
III. Prince of Wales Medical College, Patna One
IV. King George Medical College Lucknow Six
V. Agra Medical College, Agra Twenty-six
VI. Grant Medical College, Bombay One
VII. Gwalior Medical College Gwalior One
VIII. Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi . Nineteen
the 606 students in the College, 593 were Muslims, 11 Indian Christians
and 2 European and Anglo-Indians.
Col. IIlahi Bakhsh was the First Pakistani Principal of the College.
He and other Muslim staff took over from the Hindu and Sikh Teachers
on the afternoon of the 14th August, 1947.
M.A.H. Siddiqui was the MS of Mayo Hospital, till his deputation
to the Dow Medical College, when Professor Amir ud Din relieved
the early days of independence, the college and hospital had to
remain at battle stations to administer treatment to the near destitute
masses of humanity pouring in to Pakistan. After the first year
of extreme difficulty and organizational handicap, even the students
were able to cope well with the situation.
Lt. Col. Ilahi Bakhsh
1947-1954, 1955 - 1959
Casualties were accommodated in varandahs of Surgical Wards, In
Medical and Eye Wards and the United Christian Hospital and the
Forman Christian College. With students and social workers, the
department of Surgery, Clinical Surgery and Anatomy under Professor
Air du Din, Riaz Qadir and Captain Sardar AIi Sheikh worked round
the clock for several months to restore normalcy. Stoppage of traditional
supply of cholera vaccine from the Kasauli Research Institute due
to the partition created a crises, which the Pathology Department
resolved by starting the manufacture of anti cholera vaccine with
the help of trained personnel and the Muslim laboratory assistants
migrated from Kasauli.
yet down to earth. The Quaid-I-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah sitting in
. the lawn surrounded by the workers of the Alus/im Students Federation
including many Kemcolians.
resolved by starting the manufacture of anti cholera vaccine with
the help of trained personnel and the Muslim laboratory assistants
migrated from Kasauli.
Pakistan emerges as a new State on the World map in 1947. Amongst
jubilation and celebrations Pakistan flag is hoisted on the sacred
soil of Pakistan.
the wake of this unique historical achievement, there is the tragedy
during the biggest exchange of population in the history of the
world Wave after wave of human flood escaping from the communal
riots which gripped the Indo-Pakistan subcontinent, ushered in with
untold miseries and loss of life and property.
the face of this unprecedented burden the new State of Pakistan
mobilized all its resources and its meager medical manpower to cope
with the tremendous volume of preventive and curative work in the
sprawling refugee camps all along the border region of the country.
immediate problems were food, shelter and clothing and long term
planning for permanent settlement of the newly arrived citizen of
the state. who took no less a part in the Pakistan movement then
all the permanent residents of areas destined to fall within the
boundaries of the new State of Pakistan.
King Edward Medical College was the only seat of medical learning
in the entire country and that too was left badly mauled due to
exodus of non-Muslim teaching staff who were in vast majority at
the time of independence.
new generation of Kemcolians took on the challenge under the prevailing
spirit of showing our worth as architects of the new nation under
the directive of the Quaid - e - Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah in the
HAS GIVEN US A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO SHOW OUR WORTH AS ARCHITECTS
OF A NEW STATE AND LET IT NOT BE SAID THAT WE DID NOT PROVE EQUAL
TO THE TASK."
It is since that day that these words under the Portrait of the
Quaid-e- Azam have decorated our main library Hall.
the opening of the Fatima Jinnah Medical College, admission of
women to the KEMC was stopped during 1948-49. Postgraduate teaching
for DO, DGO., DMRT and TDD was instituted. Research papers published
in this period include" Chronic Intestinal Obstruction"
by Professor Riyaz-e-Qadeer, " Etiology of Gallstones"
by Professor Amir ud Din," Coronary Heart Disease in Pakistan"
by Prof. Pirzada and a paper on Tuberculosis by Dr. AH. Anwar.
Department of paediatric was started in 1948 under Dr. S.M.K. Wasti,
who was upgraded as Professor of Medicine (Paediatrics) in 1955.
The Department of Orthopedic Surgery was created in July, 1956 under
Dr. Ayyub Ahmed Khan. The number of students rose to 753 in 1957-58.
New hostels for men and women were completed.
Lt. Col. S.M.K. Malick
medical reforms commission appointed by the government started work
in January, 1960 to study and evaluate medial education and research.
In its report to the President, the Commission said that it saw"
the frustrated professional working under a too detailed administration
and found administration rendered ineffective by its inability to
reach the doctor in the field". Doctors in rural areas were
isolated, being visited only for inspection and extremely deficient
in felicities and equipment.
was a shortage of both senior and junior staff . Overwork and general
dissatisfaction led to different sections of the educational system
laying blame on each others doorstep. Teachers were overburdened
with administrative duties. Thus officers from the armed forces,
usually Lt. Colonels, were seconded to serve as administrators who
were to be permanent secretaries of the Boards of Governors of various
institutions. Lt. Col. Rafique Ahmed Khan was the first administrator
of KEMC., appointed on the 3 March. 1959. His successor was Lt.
Col. Nawab Khan.
7th • March, 1959, Lt. Co!. Illahi Bakhsh went on leave before
retiring, and' was succeeded by Dr. Riyaz-e-Qadeer as Principal, who
was confirmed in this post in September, of the same year. The title
of the post was changed to Chairman Academic Council in December,
New Ophthalmology Building
- New Kitchens
- Better X-ray machines
- Larger supply of X-ray films
- A second Medical Officer for Radio diagnosis and
Better maintenance of hospital record.
In 1960 there were 23 foreign students and 24 students from East
Pakistan, Azad Kashmir, Gilgit and Baluchistan.
was awarded in 1958 to Professors M.A. Prizada and Amir ud Din,
the latter also being awarded the Sitara-i-Imtiaz in 1960.
Illahi Baksh had drafted his monumental work on Medicine while
a prisoner of the Japanese. This was published shortly before
his death in April 1960, while he was serving on the Medical Reforms
Commission. In honour of his service to medical education and
his association with this college for over a quarter of a century,
he was awarded the Sitara-i-Quaid-i-Azam in 1959, and the Punjab
University decided to posthumously confer the degree of Doctor
of Laws Honoris Causa upon him.
the completion of its 100 years of existence, the college had
a turn over of about a 100 students yearly, with 679 men and 55
women undergraduates on the rolls . The Mayo Hospital now held
800 beds and the lady Willingdon a 100. There were also 20 postgraduate
students, including one lady. The exam: programme was revised
by the University. The library had 16,173 books and a reading
room. The 4 men and 1 women's hostel housed 401 and 27 hostellers
respectively, plus 9 postgraduate residents.
FRCS examination was discontinued after trial because of too few
students. Postgraduates took the MO/MS degrees though the courses
of studies were not regularly conducted. New chairs were created
in operative surgery, ENT, clinical Midwifery, Anaesthesia and Cardiology.
New Departments established in Mayo Hospital, included Thoracic
Surgery, Cardiology, Dermatology, Orthopedic and Pediatrics. The
following new buildings were constructed: Out patients Department
in Rattan bagh 50 bed Children Hospital. A wing of the A VH to house
32 patients Lahore General Hospital, Radium Institute
In its report on K.E. Medical College the Medical Reform Committee
concluded as follows:-
"Despite the Fortuitousness which has often appeared to characterize
its progress during the past century its achievement has been quite
remarkable, especially in view of its narrow financial resources."
King Edward Medical College, Lahore remained for a long time the
only institution of its kind in the Northern part of the subcontinent
and during pre-independence period attracted students also from
South East Asia, British Africa and even the West Indies. After
independence it has served the needs not only of the country but
also of the brotherly Muslim countries. The following countries
have been sending their students for medical studies to the. College.'
Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Jordon, Bahrain, Malaysia, Iran , Kuwait,
Syria, Palestine, Qatar, Egypt, South Yemen, Mauritius, Sri Lanka,
UAE. Nepal, Lebanon, Gambia, Kenya, Libya, Sweden, Britain, Afghanistan
King Edward Medical College has been actively engaged in postgraduate
studies also and after 1960 emphasis was placed on postgraduate
diploma courses leading to postgraduate qualifications. These courses
and training programmes have lead to the following Diplomas.
M.D., MS, D.M.RE., DTC.D., D.L.O., D.A.M.S., DA, D.C.P. D.M.RT,
D.M.RD., D.G.O., F.C.P.S. PART-I.
addition a six months preparatory course for primary FRCS was also
instituted in 1961. The course lasted for 4 years and out of a total
of 211 candidates 81 passed the primary FRCS of the Royal College
of Surgeons , England.
The courses were initially organized by the Professors from the
Royal College of Surgeons, England, namely Professor RJ Last and
Professor David salome, later on, however, these courses were fully
conducted by the local staff comprising Professor Afzal, Alamdar
Hussain, Lase, RK. Madan, Riayaz-e-Qadeer and Hameed Sheikh, Initially
all the examiners came from England but later Professor Riayaz-e-Qadeer
and Hameed Sheikh were appointed by the Royal College of Surgeons,
England as examiners which was a unique honour for the King Edward
postgraduate examination of the Royal College of surgeons were abandoned
when the Pakistan College of Physicians and Surgeons came into being
now this college offers MCPS and FCPS Diplomas in most subjects
as postgraduate qualifications. The diploma courses have been taken
over by the postgraduate Medical Institute which was established
at the King Edward Medical College campus in 1914 and was first
of its kind in the Punjab. It is temporarily housed in the experimental
medicine and animal house of King Edward Medical College, Lahore.
of King Edward Medical College, Lahore extend full participation
in the postgraduate courses conducted by the postgraduate Medical
Institute . King Edward Medical College Alumni being spread far
and wide both within the country and abroad., bringing a good name
to their country and almamater as teacher of repute, scholars and
Practitioners of the art of medicine. the senior teacher staff of
the college willingly imparted postgraduate education at no cast
basis in addition to the heavy undergraduate teaching duties without
any extra remuneration. This act of dedication is indeed very commendable.
the year 1951, Professor Mahboob Rabbani was retired from service
and was succeeded by Professor Abdul Hameed Khan.
number of students on College Rolls rose to 153 in 1951-58. The
construction work on the new Hostels for men and women students
were completed .After October, 1958 Administrators were appointed
in the various medical colleges, King Edward Medical College being
Riayaz-e-Qadeer remained Principal of the College from June 1959
to June 1966. This was very eventful period during which as already
mentioned a solid foundation was made for postgraduate studies and
research. Various medical and surgical specialties were created.
was largely due to the foresight of Professor Riayaz-e-Qadeer as
Principal of the College that specialty Departments were created
one after the other and their development was encouraged. it is
this feature of King Edward Medical College, Lahore which even today
distinguishes it from other teaching institutions. these specialties
namely, Orthopedics, Cardiac surgery, urology and Chest surgery
on the surgical side and Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases, Cardiology,
Dermatology, Paediatrics and Neurology on the medical side were
either existing or created during the tenure of Professor Riayaz-e-Qadeer
as Principal, of the College. The dates of creation of these specialties
Department and their brief history is mentioned in the subsequent
pages in necessarily and chronological order with a view to highlight
each individual department separately.
year 1965 also saw Indo-Pak war when Senior Clinical teachers
played active part in giving expert medical aid to the war causalities.
During the tenure of Professor Riyaz-e-Qadeer Administrators were
appointed by the martial Law authorities which had taken over
the administration of the country in 1958.
first Administrator was Lt. Co!. Rafique Ahmed Khan and second
was Lt. Co!. Nawab Khan. These Administrators continued from march
1959 to June 1962.
Prof. Abdul Hameed Sheikh
1966 – 1969
this period Professor Riyaz -e- Qadeer worked as Chairman Academic
Council. At the time of the centenary celebrations of the College
in 1960 Professor Riyaz -e- Qadeer was the Chairman Academic Council
and Lt. Col. Nawab Khan was the Administrator of the College. To
meet the shortage of doctors in the country new Medical Colleges
were opened. It is a credit it again to the King Edward Medical
College that most of the teaching staff of these young institutions
was provided by the Alumni of this College.
Consequently much of the financial resources had to be diverted
to these newer institutions and this adversely affected the pace
of development of the Mother Institution, King Edward Medical College.
Abdul Hameed Sheikh, Professor of Pathology took over the charge
of the office of Principal in June 1966 and continued until July
1969.The main achievement during this period was the construction
of a building to house the institute of Experimental Medicine and
an animal house. This was to facilitate animal experiments of the
undergraduates and postgraduates as well as to meet the needs of
the Pathology Department. The facility also helped the teachers
and postgraduates to conduct basic research in the College campus.
Prof. Sardar Ali Sheikh July to Nov. 1969, 1971
subsequent years however saw the housing of the Postgraduate Institute
in the building again out of necessity, but certainly at the expense
of the purpose for which this building and equipment were put up
in the first place.
College used to experience water shortage, in the summer months
particularly leading to interruption of practical and laboratory
work. The gardens also suffered due to lack of water supply. However
a new tube well was installed in 1968-69 which helped to overcome
the problem of water supply both for the laboratory needs and irrigation
During this period a lending library was also established, which
was a very welcome facility for the undergraduates, especially for
those students who could not buy their own books. They could now
borrow their text books from the lending library.
More medical journals and magazines were added to the already existing
ones which further helped in the academic pursuits of the undergraduate
and postgraduate students.
existing Departments of Pediatrics and Dermatology were improved
and two new specialties were added during this period. i.e. Neurology
and experimental medicine.
Abdul Hameed Sheikh retired in July 1969 and Professor Sardar Ali
Sheikh took over as Principal in the same month. This term was short,
four months, he handed over the charge to Professor N.A. Seyal who
remained Principal from December 1969 to September 1971.
period saw a good many development schemes move ahead. These included
additions and alterations of six lecture theatres, addition and
alternation of back verandah of Pharmacology Department, improvement
of electric supply to the Physiology Department, purchase of equipment
for the research and experimental medicine departments, purchase
of airconditioners for the basic departments. Installation of electron
microscope the first of its kind in the country for the Anatomy
Department through the Colombo plan and the construction of a new
Boys Hostel thus enlarging the scope of accommodation for the increasing
number of students.
The most important achievement was the purchase of land for a new
Campus of the Medical College and a Training Hospital near the University
Campus , Lahore.
Thus writes the Principals in this annual report, " One hundred
and five acres of land have been purchased at a total cost of RS.
15,00,000 for the construction of a new Medical College and a Teaching
Hospital near the University Campus Lahore during 1969-70. Program
PCI for the scheme has since been submitted to the Government for
approval of scheme and provision of funds. The building of this
college are very old and require lots of modifications, additions
and alterations to meet the needs of the day".
the march of time and circumstances did not allow this project to
prosper and the opening of new medical college put such a burden
on the financial resources of the Government that this idea remained
a mere dream.
Sardar Ali Sheikh took over again from Professor N.A. Seyal in September
1971 and remained Principal until April 1973. Soon after he took
over the second Indo Pakistan war broke out in December 1971 and
once again the country was plunged into tragedy and disaster. The
Eastern wing of Pakistan was separated as a result, and lots of
causalities occurred even on the Western wing due to indiscriminate
air attack. The Alumni of this College once again stood behind their
brethren in war and gave valuable medical help and treatment both
at Lahore and in the forward sectors.
During this period the second story, started earlier, for the Girls
Hostel was completed. A new Boys Hostel was sanctioned by the Government
, Books furniture and equipment was purchased for the basic departments
and the Department of Experimental Medicine.
auditorium was constructed to a accommodate large assemblies and
conferences in 1972-73. Ironically, what seemed adequate at that
time has proved too small within a few years. Due to the large intake
of students this 250 seated auditorium does not seem large enough
for the purpose it was intended to serve.
A mosque was built on the College premises for the benefit of the
students. The money for the mosque was mainly provided by the Government,
but the Auqaf Department and the students themselves also contributed
through their union funds, a noble gesture indeed.
cold storage plant in the Anatomy Department had become unserviceable
due to passage of time and a new one was sanctioned in its place.
The Departments of Community Medicine (Hygiene), Forensic Medicine,
neurology and an additional medical unit were separately accommodated
during this period. The Department of Cardio Vascular Surgery set
up in May 1968 was put on a proper footing by a qualified Cardiac
Surgeon, Dr. Mohammad Aslam Cheema.
Prof. N.A. Seyal
1969-1971, 1979 -
number of scholarships and fee remisSions were increased by the
Government during this period, thus helping the needy students financially.
A total of over 150 different scholarships and over 80 fee remissions
of either total or half fee existed during this period.
Professor Sardar Ali Sheikh retired in April, 1973 and Professor
Mohammad Akhtar Khan took over as Principal in April, 1973, Alas
Professor Sardar Ali Sheikh is no more among us . A dedicated teacher,
a craftsman surgeon, a capable administrator and a wise counsel;
that was Professor Sardar AP Sheikh. May His Soul Rest in Peace
M. Akhtar Khan remained Principal from 1973 to April, 1979, During
this period more specialties departments came into being or became
part of the Medical College with full fledged professorial chairs.
In fact, with regard to expansion of the existing units and establishment
of new units the period of Professor M. Akhtar Khan was a period
of remarkable growth in the history of the College. After Professor
Riaz-e-Qader the name of Professor M. Akhtar Khan stands out distinctly
as architect of the academic units of the college. Medical Units
increased from three to five, surgical units increased from three
to four. Ophthalmology and ENT units both had an additional professorial
chair created during this period..
Unit was accommodated independently in Madden Gopal Wing of the
Mayo Hospital, and came into being as a separate unit. In the Department
of Pediatrics a chair of preventive pediatric was created. New professorial
chairs were created for departments of psychiatry, Radiology and
Radiotherapy as hitherto these departments were not represented
at the college but functioned at the hospital level only.
The Annual College Convocation had not been held for seven years
since 1971 and it was in Professor M. Akhtar Khan's tenure that
college convocation was held on 23 of February 1978 in which President
of Pakistan. Mr. Fazal Ellahi Chaudhry was the Chief Guest. As this
convocation had been held after a long gap it was particularly rejoiced
by the college faculty members as well as students. The college
gazette published a special convocation number on the occasion.
contact with KEMC Alumni of North America was established initial
during the tenure of Professor Sardar Ali Sheikh but it was during
the tenure of Professor M. Akhtar Khan Dr. Amanullah visited the
college and laid the foundations of what was subsequently to constitute
an important land mark in establishing fraternal bonds between the
almamater and our Alumni from all over the world and particularly
from North America.
In 1974 first workshop was held under the auspices of WHO in which
facilitators from Iran took part and laid foundation for trained
local manpower consisting of Professor M. Akhtar Khan as the leader.,
Professor K. Saadiq Hussain, Professor S.AR. Gardezi, Professor
Taqayya Sultana Abdi and Professor Munawar Hayat. The trained and
highly motivated teachers of K.E. Medical College, established a
Medical Education Centre under the guidance of Professor M. Akhtar
Khan with Professor LAX Tareen appointed as Secretary Medical Education
Centre. This gradually grew larger and more medical teachers both
from King Edward Medical College and other local colleges were associated
with it as facilitators after having themselves attended the workshops.
Among those were Professor LAX. Tareen Dr. Khalil Rana and Professor
Nasib R. Awan, from our own Faculty, Professor RX. Madan and Professor
Nabilha Hassan from Fatima Jinnah Medical College and Professor
Ijaz Ahsan from Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore. Subsequently
during the tenure of Professor K. Saadiq Hussain as Principal this
grew up into Provincial Medical Education Centre and conducted workshops
on Medical Education and Evaluation both at the King Edward Medical
College and other medical colleges of the province including Nishtar
Medical College, Multan and Quaid -e- Azam Medical College, Bahawalpur.
The provincial Medical Centre is housed in a portion of Patiala
Medical Institute was initiated in the experimental medicine block
and animal house adjacent to the pathology Department of the College.
The new Casualty Block which was subsequently built and has now
been commissioned into use was initiated during the tenure of Professor
M. Akhtar Khan . The Dermatology Department was built in the Out
Patient Block of Mayo Hospital and as the old premises of Dermatology
Department were vacated the Department of neurology was accommodated
in the Madan Gopal wing of the Hospital where the Dermatology Department
was previously housed.
scheme for the construction of a well planned modern department
of Neurology was prepared and sent to the Government in 1979
this period on going schemes like repairs and renovation of the
college buildings continued, a new hostel block was completed and
in the Mayo Hospital, new Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Urology,
Psychiatry, a new unit in lady Willingdon Hospital, for Obstetrics
and Gynecology and extension of Neurosurgery unit at Lahore General
Hospital, was completed. An intensive care unit was established
in the Mayo Hospital, for patients of Ischaemic myocardial disease.
Islamic Submit Conference took place in Lahore in 1974 and the staff
of King Edward Medical College, gave round the Clock Medical Care
to the visiting, heads of the States and the dignitaries and staff
accompanying them at the airport and at their respective places
of residence. In December 1976 King Edward Medical College hosted
a National Teachers Convention in which teacher from all the Medical
Colleges of Pakistan gathered for a 3 days Conference at which vital
issues were taken up for discussion in order to improve medical
education, revise curricula, modernize examination techniques, lay
down objectives and make instruction methods more relevant to the
objectives. Views expressed in the Conference by the Medical teachers
from all over the country were compiled in the form of proceedings
and recommendations of the Conference. These were approved by the
Government and are in the process of implementation. Prof. M. Akhtar
Khan was himself keenly interested in the subject of medical education
and established a Medical Education Centre at the College.
number of senior teachers attended courses and seminars on medical
education and evaluation in Sheraz and Dundi. Amongst them were
Professors M. Akhtar Khan, . K. Saadiq Hussain, S.A.R.Gardezi
and Taqayya Sultana Abdi. This was to form a nucleus for the establishment
of a Provincial medical Education Centre which undertook the task
of conducting education workshops from time to time at King Edward
Medical College and also at other medical colleges in the Punjab.
These workshops have exposed more and more teachers to this new
experience and learning. Some of our senior teachers at King Edward
Medical College and the other two medical colleges at Lahore have
also attended workshops at the college of physicians and surgeons,
Pakistan, Karachi. A permanent Medical Education Centre headed
by Professor M. Akhtar Khan was established in the premises of
King Edward Medical College with Prof. Tareen as its secretary,
as well as a sub office of the College of Physicians and Surgeons,
Pakistan, Karachi of Which Professor M. Akhtar Khan was the Vice
President. These developments considerably enhanced the tempo
of postgraduate studies and examinations at Lahore for the benefit
of postgraduate students from the Punjab.
M. Akhtar Khan retired in 1979 and professor N.A. Seyal took over
as Principal of the College for his second term of office and remained
so from April 1979 to July 1981. Soon after taking over, Professor
N.A. Seyal actively followed the threads of establishing contact
with KEMC Alumni Association of North America. The idea materialized
in March 1980 when the first KEMC Alumni International Symposium
was held at King Edward Medical College. It goes to the credit of
Professor N.A.Seyal that that first implementation of KEMC Alumni
symposia materialized due to his keen interest in the project which
had been initiated by Professor M. Akhtar Khan.
second KEMC Alumni International Symposium took place in March 1981
and was even more fervently enjoyed by all the participants. As
December was the time of the year when most of our Alumni in North
America can find time to visit Pakistan, it was decided to hold
the subsequent symposia in December each year. By now there was
a general feeling that a prominence should be granted to this arrangement
by forming a KEMC Alumni Association at an international level so
that a strong link is constantly maintained to encourage cooperation
and kinship amongst the graduates of the college. A draft constitution
was prepared and is now in the process of finalization.
The college convocation was held on 30th of March, 1980 in which
Professor N.A. Seyal outlined the progress of the college and its
various departments. He made a mention of the medical education
centre of which in addition to Professor M. Akhtar Khan. Professor
K. Saadiq Hussain, Professor S.A. R Gardezi Professor Munawar Hayat,
Dr. Khalil Rana and Dr. I. A. K Tareen were the members . The centre
had already exposed more than 100 medical teachers from various
medical colleges of Punjab to the latest educational methods.
N. A. Seyal retired in July 198 I and Professor K Saadiq Hussain
took over as Principal of the College. The spirit of KEMC Alumni
symposia received a renewed fresh vigor with the person of Professor
K. Saadiq Hussain who was as keen in the idea as his two predecessors.
in fact the enthusiasm generated by Professor K. Saadiq Hussain
was so great that the third such symposium was planned for December
of the same year with a gap of nine months only instead of putting
it off till the next December.
N.A. Seyal had been the Chairman and Professor Munawar Hayat, Secretary
of the organizing Committee for the first two KEMC Alumni International
Symposia. As Professor N. A. Seyal retired in July 1981, it was
decided by the College Council unanimously that with Professor Khawaja
Saadiq Hussain as the new Chairman of Organizing Committee, Professor
Munawar Hayat will continue as Secretary of the Organizing Committee
and arrange for the 3rd Alumni International Symposium in December
3rd Alumni International Symposium was held in December 1981. On
this occasion a shield of honour was presented by the KEMC Alumni
Association of North America to Professor N. A. Seyal who had now
retired and Professor Munawar Hayat for their pioneer work in putting
the symposia on firm footing and making them a part of college traditions.
the 3rd Alumni Symposium , Professor LAX. Tareen took over from
Professor Munawar Hayat as Secretary, Organizing Committee while
Professor Khawaja Saadiq Hussain, Principal of the College remained
Chairman of the Organizing committee as before .Under their able
guidance three subsequent KEMC Alumni International Symposia were
held in December 1982, December 1984. Thus so far six KEMC Alumni
Symposia have been held.
FATIMA JINNAH QUAID-E-MUHAMMADALI JINNAH
BY DR. AMJAD RIAZ SHAH, GRADUATE OF K.E. MEDICAL COLLEGE, LAHORE.
S/O LATE PROF SYED RIAZ ALI SHAH A HISTORIC PICTURE CAPTIONED
BY MOHTARMA FATIMA JINNAH IN APPRECIATION OF SELFLESS AND DEVOTED
SERVICES RENDERED BY DR. RIAZ ALI SHAH, HEAD DEPARTMENT OF CHEST
MEDICINE, KEMC DURING THE ILLNESS OF QUAID-E-AZAM MUHAMMAD ALI
JINNAH AT ZIARAT-QUETTA. ON 19TH MARCH, 1950
Khawaja Saadiq Hussain has a keen interest in Medical education.
Through his dynamic approach, the programme of medical education
workshops was carried forward with new zeal and luckily for the
College. Professor M. Akhtar Khan even after his retirement continued
to take keen interest in the provincial medical education centre.
Professor M. Akhtar Khan was also lately Vice President of College
of Physicians and Surgeons and consequently a sub office of the
College was opened at Patiala Block, King Edward Medical College
and College examinations were also conducted.
Prof. Kh. Saadiq Hussain
College of Physicians and surgeons was indeed very lucky in having
as energetic a person as Professor M. Akhtar Khan for its Vice President.
He took pains to conduct the college examinations and devoted lot
of his personal time to the furtherance of activities of the College
of Physicians & Surgeons.
the tenure of Professor Khawaja Saadiq Hussain as Principal, academic
life of the College improved tremendously. Examinations were held
on time and progressively antedated in order to eliminate the gap
between the prescribed duration of MBBS course and the actual one.
It goes to the credit of Professor Khawaja Saadiq Hussain that against
heavy odds this gap is now almost closed up and the graduation period
had now been successfully shortened from 7 years to just over 5
years. The finalization of admission of first year class is also
now being done by using modern computer technology and the time
has been shortened so that the aim of finalizing admission within
a couple of weeks, after the Board examination result, is almost
was to the lot of Professor Khwaja Saadiq Husain, the 23'd Principal
of the College, that the Centenary Silver Jubilee year 1985 had
fallen in his tenure. The centenary silver jubilee celebrations
and convocation were inaugurated by the Governor of the Punjab,
Lt.Gen (Rtd) Ghulam Jilani. A special medal "Centenary Silver
Jubilee Celebration Medal" was awarded to the best graduate
of the year.
Second day of celebration was reserved for discussion about transfer
of technology and was graced by the Prime of Pakistan Mr.Muhammad
Khan Junejo. On the last day of celebration the Chief Minister of
the Punjab, Mian Nawaz Sharief was the chief guest.
Delegates from all over the world including USA,UK,Sweden, India,
Japan and Korea, participated. The Alumni undertook to pay the training
expanses of the Best Kemcolian every year. The representative from
the University of Connecticut agreed and announced to train the
graduates of the college through the residency programme of the
period of Prof. Khwaja Saadiq Husain can be termed as the period
of improvements of academics and physical developments. During his
tenure he raised a team of dedicated workers consisting of Prof.
Munawar Hayat, Prof. LAX Tareen, Prof. Nasib R. Awan, Prof. Bilquees
Jamal Zafar, Prof. Zahida Sultana Mir, Prof. Muhammad Munir-ul-Haq
and Prof. A .H Nagi to undertake the task of development in college.
He also developed continuous contacts with KEMC Alumni Association
of North America with the sole purpose to equip audio-visual system
and Library of the college. Many buildings including Administrative
Block, the Anatomy, the Pharmacology, the Pathology, the Forensic
Medicine & Toxicology and the Auditorium were renovated. It
would not be exaggerating that the face of college bore an entirely
new look. Tennis Pavilion and Photographic Section were also added
to the main campus and the existing accommodation in the hostels
including renovation of Swimming Pool, Mosque and Canteen were done.
The Department of Medical Education and Illustration was expanded
and the College was declared by the Chancellor and Governor of the
Punjab as the Provincial Training Centre for Training in Medical
Education. Many courses were arranged and teachers from nearly all
the Medical Colleges of the Punjab were trained.
Prof. Khwaja Saadiq Husain tenure many dignitaries ,like Mr. Bishop,
the Dean, Postgraduate Education, UK, Hussain Aglzary, Sidney Tru
lover from Oxford, BoLindblad and Dr. Hanson, from Swedon, Mr. Muhammad
Amin from China, Mr. F. Yamashita ,Mr. N. Tanska and Maruyama from
Japan and Mr. Anthony Fairburn from UK Muhammad Khan Junejo, Prime
Minister of Pakistan, Mr Sidney Trulover, Oxford., Mr. Bo Lindblad,
Stockholm., Mr. Hanson, Stockholm., Mr. Muhammad Amin., China.,
Mr. F.Yamashita, Japan., Mr. Anthony Fairburn., USA., Prof. Girdwood,
President Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh., Mr. Abdul Shakoor
B. Mohammad, Mr. Abdullah Badawi, Malaysia., .Dr. Lennart Freij
SAREC, Stockholm, Sweden and Trevor Silventone Department of Psychiatric
Medicine, London visited the College. visited the college. One of
the distinguished visitors Mr. John Elis formerly Dean, London Hospital,
Medical College University of London in his centenary lecture delivered
recently at the Punjab University paid high tributes to this College
and its graduates.
Prof. A. C.P. Sims President Royal College of Psychiatry from UK
visited the. Department of Psychiatry King Edward Medical College,
Lahore thrice between the years 1985-88. The overseas doctors training
scheme ( ODTS) was started and experience gained to the Psychiatry
Department was recognised for MRCPsy. Exemption from PLEB was also
A. C.P. Sims President Royal College of Psychiatry from UK visited
the. Department of Psychiatry King Edward Medical College, Lahore
thrice between the years 1985-88. The overseas doctors training
scheme ( ODTS) was started and experience gained to the Psychiatry
Department was recognised for MRCPsy. Exemption from PLEB was also
Iftikhar Ahmed, Professor of Medicine, became the Principal of King
Edward Medical College after the retirement of Prof. Khwaja Saadiq
Husain and remained Principal from November 1986 to October, 1989.
Prior to his posting as Principal, he held the post of Secretary
to Government of the Punjab, Health Department He has the singular
honour to be the Principal King Edward Medical College in Grade-22.
Before retirement he was made Chairman, Chief Minister's Inspection
Team from where he retired. His main interests besides teaching
were audio-visual, community oriented medical education and continuing
his tenure physical development initiated by Professor Kh. Saadiq
Husain continued. He introduced the concept of student patient relationship
for patient's welfare by establishing "Student Patients Welfare
Society". He also organized and improved the existing Blood
Bank services for needy patients. Further groups of doctors from
the teaching pool were motivated to visit the far flung areas of
the Province to provide medical advice to teaming millions belonging
to poor community.
the college side, Close-circuit T. V. system in the Lecture Theatres,
Video film for teaching and air-conditioning of the teaching areas
were accomplished. New College Academic Council Hall was established
and furnished. Many departments of the college were updated and
provided the latest medical equipment's. The cases to install Electron
Microscope for Pathology Department and grant of autonomy were initiated.
The President of Pakistan was requested during the convocation address
to help grant of these projects. The college was also linked with
George Town University, Washington, U.S.A with the help of KEMC
Alumni Association of North America.
Prof. Iftikhar Ahmad
pursuation to the Alumni for the improvement of Audio-visual systems
in the college bore fruits and the KEMC Alumni Association during
one of the International Symposium on "Update of Medicine"
agreed to establish the Audio-visual Library in the College and
donated the first installment of U.S.$ 8,000 for the purpose. The
College was made autonomous in 1987 in administrative, financial
and academic matters. During his Principal ship, dignitaries like
Mr. N.V Addison, Chairman Primary FRCS Examination of RCS of England.
Bashir Ahmed, Professor of Neurosurgeryserved two terms as Principal
from October 1989 to may 1991 and from July 1991 to December1993
with a break in the month of june1991 when Prof. Shaukat Razakhan
was appointed as Principal in the month of June, 1991 by the Supreme
Court of Pakistan for the remaining period of his services.
his tenure efforts were made by obtaining the funds to complete
the ongoing schemes and to start a number of new Projects.
Prof. Bashir Ahmad,
Oct. 1989 to May 1991
July 1991 to Dec. 19993
order to streamline the undue delay in the admission to the first
year MBBS classes, two batches were admitted simultaneously in
1990 i.e. the first in the month of January for the students who
qualified their F.Sc (Premedical ) in 1989 and the second in the
month of September for those who passed their FSc examination
in August 1990.
a result of the decision of the Supreme Court in December 1990
almost equal number of female students were to be accommodated
in the college hostel for the 1991 admission at a time when 110
girls were admitted against fifteen reserved seats in the past.
The old girls hostel could not take over the additional load.
Therefore the newly constructed internee hostel adjacent to the
emergency ward was provided to the girl students by shifting the
male internees to the Hall Road boys hostel
the Professional Examinations were brought forward with the whole
hearted support of the college academic council and members of the
Board of Studies of the University of the Punjab A large number
of books were added to the college library out or the generous grant
given by the Prime Minister of Pakistan.
the clock telephone service was made available to the students in
old Pathology Department Building and adjacent Research and Postgraduate
Training Centre were renovated and expensive equipment was added
which included even a state of the art Electron Microscope.
new buses were obtained for the Educational visits for the Medical
reading room was established in the boys hostel and the main reading
room adjacent to the college tuck shop was provided with new books,
furniture and air-conditions.
scheme for the renovation of historical Patiala Block was prepared
which has recently been accomplished.
century old demand of the students was met by providing them hard
Tennis Courts in the college sports complex.
Shaukat Raza Khan was appointed Principal of King Edward Medical
College, Lahore on 26th September, 1990. A High Court stay order
made him hand over the charge with in a few days back to Prof Bashir
Ahmed. After a prolonged legal battle, Supreme Court of Pakistan
re-instated him as Principal on 1st June, 1991.
his period of service as Principal was very short but as head of
the department of paediatrics, he developed various sub specialties.
In collaboration with WHO and Sweden, the department was recognized
as regional center for the management of diarrhea and RTI.
Prof. Shaukat Raza Khan
(June, 1991 to 30 June, 1991)
Ejaz Ahsan, a Professor of Surgery took over as Principal of the
college after the retirement of Prof. Bashir Ahmed. He believed
in the students discipline, punctuality and regularity of attendance.
He was a great opponent of unmerited migrations. During his tenure
he insisted that no student would be sent up for University examination
unless the statuary percentage of attendance is met. ~.1uch felt
need for the Department of Critical Care and Pulmonary Medicine
was got sanctioned and established by him.
Prof. Ijaz Ahsan
January 1994 to February, 1995
Naseer M .Akhtar, M.BBS.(Punjab) FR.CS (Eng) FCPS(Pak) has been
associated with this institution ever since he Joined it as a student
in 1954 after having done his F. Sc. from Government College, Lahore
with an outstanding academic record in the school and premedical
completing his Medical Education as an alrounder in academics as
well as sports field, he proceeded abroad to acquire postgraduate
qualification of F.RCS and acquired it within the minimum period
Naseer Mahmood Akhtar
8.5.1995 - 1997
his period as Principal, a lot of development work was done. The
main College Building was completely renovated after a span of
89 years (19 151996), preserving the main character of the building.
new Hostel of foreign students was inaugurated and schemes for
a new hostel, demolishing the old hostel on Hall Road have been
prepared. New schemes have been initiated to construct a multipurpose
Auditorium Complex adjacent to the existing Auditorium. The College
sports ground has been expanded for better facilities to conduct
various sporting events.
academics he strived to bring the Examination Schedule of University
of the Punjab back to normal with considerable success.
Air conditioned reading rooms have been added to the Hostels to
provide better facilities for the students.
The College has been selected by WHO & Govt of the Punjab
as a Model College for introducing the Community Oriented Medical
Education with a new Problem Based, integrated, self learning
type of curriculum which would be relevant to the needs of the
The College Library has been updated with installation of Computers
with internet & other latest facilities. The College Computer
Cell has been updated with facilities for the students and the
teaching faculty to obtain training in Computers All this has
been possible with his personal efforts in collaboration with
King Edward Medical College Alumni Association of North America.
Overall atmosphere in the College Campus has been very cordial
and all academic as well as extra curricular activities have been
encouraged & taking place in a very peaceful atmosphere.
He has devoted a lot of importance to the Research & has activated
the Postgraduate & Research Centre of the College after many
years of dormancy & a number of Research Projects are going
on in the Centre.
the first time a Directory of all the research work done & being
conducted has been prepared. The other most important document i.e.,
"Updated history of KEMC" is in your hands. Annals of
King Edward Medical College- a quarterly Journal is regularly published
and is recognized by PMDC.
All this was possible to achieve because he believes in involving
his faculty members in decision making and has been enjoying their
full support. In the pages that follow a brief account of the individual
departments of King Edward Medical College is given outlining the
progress and the present stage of development of each individual
Mahmud Ali Malik took the charge as Principal of this college in
December 1997 and he remained on this post for three month only,
which was a very short time. As a doctor and administrator Dr. Mahmood
Ali was dedicated personality. He had great enthusiasm for his job.
He was retired March 1998.
Prof. Mehmood Ali Malik
Dec. 1997 – March 1998
Iftikhar Ali Raja was appointed as Principal King Edward Medical
College on 12.5.1998. He was retired as Chief Executive of King
Edward Medical College & Allied Hospitals, Lahore on 31.3.2000.
Dr. Iftikhar Ali Raja previously work as Assistant Professor of
Neurosurgery and than he joined Nishtar Medical College, Multan.
He served their as a Professor and Head of the Neurosurgery department
later he was appointed Principal, Nishtar Medical College, Multan.
From Nishtar Medical College, Multan he joined King Edward Medical
College as Professor of Neurosurgery and also hold the post of visiting
Neurosurgeon of Lahore General Hospital, Lahore. Apart from his
specified qualification in Neurosurgery he had a special diploma
course in acupuncture from college of traditional Medicine Nankings
People’s Republic of China during his tenure they political
and administrative scenario of the country was changing more and
more institutions were getting autonomy and ultimately King Edward
Medical College was declared as autonomous institutions. Dr. Iftikhar
Ali Raja was the first Chief Executive of King Edward Medical College
& Allied Hospitsls.
Prof. Iftikhar Ali Raja
(Principal - May 1998 –1999)
(Principal Executive Officer –
(1999- March 2000)
Dr. Mumtaz Hasan was the last Principal and is the first Vice Chancellor
of this prestigious institute which is now a Medical University from
King Edward Medical College (KEMC) after its long journey of 146 years.
This University came into being by the untiring and sustained efforts
of Prof. Dr. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) who took over the charge
of this Institution as a Principal in 1999.
Mumtaz Hasan (S.I)
(Principal Executive Officer
(1999- May 2005
(January 2006 -2008 )
historic event took place on 12th May 2005 when the Act of the Establishment
of King Edward Medical University was passed. The Notification was
issued on 7th January 2006 by the orders of the Governor of Punjab.
Through another Notification issued by the Governor of Punjab on
31st January 2006 Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) was appointed
as acting Vice Chancellor of this second oldest institute of the
subcontinent. This was a great event leading this institution to
a new destination and proving itself to be the best in medical learning
M. Zafar Ullah Khan
Vice Chancellor, KEMU
of such a University was a pressing need of the time by which the
level of Medical Education will have a steep rise. Prof. Mumtaz
Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) has keen interest in Medical Education and
by his dynamic vision the standard of Medical Education improved
and the developmental projects were also started and accomplished.
In recognition of his services Sitara-i-Imtiaz has been conferred
on him. Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) has an outstanding
academic record in school, pre-medical and medical education. As
a Principal King Edward Medical College & Allied Hospitals he
has a long list of achievements and his enlighted vision will lead
this new born University into an era of learning and motivation.
period saw a good many development schemes moved ahead, there was
up-gradation of emergency and outpatients block. Now the construction
of surgical tower has been started, which is nine storey building
and will be a kind of its own.
construction of Nursing School has also started. It will be an outstanding
Institute for the undergraduate and postgraduate students. Lecture
theatres are being renovated and have been upgraded, fully air-conditioned.
The construction of cold storage is in progress in the Department
of Forensic Medicine, which will ease the preservation of dead bodies.
New furniture and latest equipment is also provided to the basic
academic side the curricula both for undergraduate and postgraduate
have been revised. A Community Medical Education and problem based
learning program was devised. Different postgraduate courses have
also started. Foreign faculties were also hired under the auspicious
of Higher Education Commission (HEC). The HEC has registered this
institution for using the resources on PERI system. Our institution
has access to Blackwell publishing journals through the INASP/PERI
programs. With the collaboration of King Edward Medical College
Alumni Association of North America (KEMCAANA) a Computer Lab has
been established in Biochemistry Department which enables us to
keep pace with the moving word.
the Head of King Edward Medical College and now King Edward Medical
University, Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) is also the Head
of the Faculty of Medicine. The East Medical Ward where he is a
Consultant Physician of Medicine is a Model Medical Unit.
a person Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) is a good human being
and he feels the pain and agony of the patients. His dealing with
the patients is full of sympathy and love. He has made it possible
to provide food without any cost to the Indoor patients of Mayo
Hospital, who has an average strength of 1800 beds.
the pages that will follow the history of King Edward Medical University,
Prof. Mumtaz Hasan (Sitara-i-Imtiaz) will be further recognized
as dedicated teacher, a capable administrator, and wise counsel.