MISSION & GOALS
To serve the health care needs of Pakistan by educating health care practitioners to the highest international standards
and stimulating innovation through research.
The King Edward Medical University shall pursue the following goals:
To seek advances in health sciences to cure and relieve the symptoms of illness, maintain health and foster social prosperity in a thriving environment.
To respond effectively to the ever changing needs of the society through its research programs, educational facilities and curricula.
To follow the century-old traditions of the College which preceded the University by conducting its work and teaching to the highest international standards and preparing itself to responsibly address the key challenges faced by the society in the coming decades.
To respect the values and goals of human society by embracing principles of justice, equality of all human beings, internationalism and by acknowledging and fostering individual achievements.
Professionalism; Nature an environment here student’s interests are higher than the teachers interests and patients interests are higher than the physicians interests.
Discipline; Respect the order of command, keep time, wear uniform and I.D Badge
Team work; Help each other to achieve common goal.
Waste conscious; Prevent waste of resources, time and effort
Merit; Encourage Transparency & Competition.
Equal opportunities; Give equal opportunities to all disregarding religion, gender, socio-economic status.
Respectful; Caring and sympathetic
Honesty; Dedication and Hard work
The conduct of Teachers, Researchers and Health Care Providers will be governed by:
i). Core Values and policies of kemunew.
ii). PMDC Code of Ethics for Medical & Dental Practitioners
iii). Statements of Institutional Interest; and
iv). Service Rules – Job Descriptions
1. Widely propagate all four (4) elements of professional behavior given in mission
2. Every procedure should be done right, the first time, on time, and every time.
3. Every staff member must endeavor to continuously enhance his/ her competency and moral values.
4. To distinguish and honor those staff members who have no conflict with all (4) elements of code of staff behavior at kemunew and Teaching Hospitals.
The Educational Programs and their respective qualifications are arranged according to related Rules & Regulation by the society and the job market to give due value to the qualifications. The educational levels at kemunew are derived for graduate education from the decree 1992 of the “National Education Policy of Pakistan” and the classification of postgraduate qualifications is based upon Pakistan Medical & Dental Council.
I. Lower Skill Development Courses
Certificate courses of one week to one-year duration for candidates with metric qualification with the aim to produce skilled technicians.
II. Graduate Programs
1. B.Sc (Honors) Medical Technologist
2. B.Sc Nursing.
3. M.B.B.S. for Doctors.
III. Postgraduate Programs
1. Minor qualifications of one-year diploma.
2. Medium qualifications of two years Diploma, M.Sc., M.Phil Programs.
3. Major qualifications
a. Professional Qualifications MD/MS/MDS of four years.
b. Academic Qualifications of Ph.D. in basic health sciences,
M.Phil leading to Ph.D Programe are combined programs of medium and major qualifications and are encouraged by HEC.
Continuous research and development in all essential elements of Medical Education will be managed in a away to ensure continuous improvements in all academic programs at kemunew.
1. To create Centers in following ten (10) essential elements of medical education within the dept of R & D in Medical Education.
a. Enrollments and Career Advisory Center.
b. Curriculum Development & Management Center.
c. Assessments and Progression Center.
d. Semestrization Modularization and Credit Transfer Center
e. Student Support Center.
f. Business and Linkages Development Center.
g. Libraries Center
h. Extra-Curricular and Sports Center.
i. Hospital Relations Center.
j. Learning Strategies, Taxonomy and Pedagogy Center.
The regular teachers of kemunew on ex-officious basis to allow the developments to be implemented simultaneously will head these ten (10) centers.
2. To encourage continuous research in these centers, new posts will be created on which young members will be expected to perform to shape existing knowledge and creatively.
3. To achieve the mission & goals create a department to be headed by an Educationist with background in educational philosophy
To equip all academic and health care programs at kemunew and its Attached Hospitals with state of the art Information Technology and bring cost effectiveness and efficiency.
1. To provide “High Speed Internet Connectivity” to kemunew, with intra facilities to its departments and attached hospitals on a wireless platform to connect students, teachers, researchers, health care providers, administrators and patients to each other internally through “Local Area Network” and externally through vast resources of “World Wide Web”.
2. To Establish a “Department Of Information Technology” with “Technical Experts” to run the department and “Computer Centers” at kemunew, Mayo Hospital, Lady Willingdon Hospital and Lady Aitchison Hospital to provide training and learning facilities for all levels of students, teachers and staff.
3. Install 600 computer terminals, and related equipment at kemunew and attached hospitals, and create paper free work environment and provide access to all students, teachers, health care providers, managers, thus enhancing cost effectiveness and efficiency of all academic, management and health care programs.
4. Promote Creation of Database, Research, Telemedicine, use of decision assisting tools, E-based management systems, E-Learning and Examination Systems.
“The investment in information technology will lower the health care spending and improve the outcomes”.
The Information Technology Department will comprise of one Director IT, two Deputy Director and six I.T. coordinators along with I.T. Technicians in all basic science, clinical and administrative units of kemunew and attached hospitals.
Through education of the teachers, administrators, and health care provider; develop world class standard and quality at kemunew and its attached hospitals.
1. Develop written standards for all academic, administrative and health care programs according to the benchmarks recognized by International Standards Organization.
2. Obtain certificate of “International Standards Organization” for all academic, administrative and health care programs.
3. Through continuous measurement of the effectiveness of the outcome and determine the standards, develop and manage the quality according to the International Quality Assurance benchmarks.
4. Establish Department of “Standardization and Quality Assurance” with “Quality Experts” on staff with responsibility to achieve the missions and goals stated above.
5. The technical staff will comprise of one Director Standardization and quality assurance will two Deputy Directors and six Quality coordinators.
To support the data directed science culture and bring national and international recognition for high quality research and publication to kemunew and it’s attached hospitals.
1. To uplift the research capability of all basic science laboratories of kemunew and clinical laboratories at its attached hospitals by adding more staff equipment and resources.
2. To continuously provide education in the field of “Research” to the students, faculty and health care provides.
3. To establish linkages with other Universities and Industry.
4. To develop and manage “Research Ethics” at kemunew and attached hospitals.
5. To hold meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences in fields of “Research”.
6. To support publication of research being carried out at kemunew.
7. To create “Development of Research” to carry out above mission and goals.
Following departments will be added to the academics of kemunew, Lahore to continuously improve the quality of the academic, administrative and health care programs through continuous research.
1. New Library
2. Department of Research and Development in Medical Education
3. Department of Information Technology in Health
4. Department of Standardization and Quality Assurance
5. Department of Nursing.
6. Department of Allied Health Sciences.
7. Department of Hospital Equipment Technology.
8. Department of Research
9. Department of Cell Biology Tissue Culture and Genetics
10. Department of Tissue Banking
11. Experimental Animal house for skill training and research.
12. New classrooms and Examinations Hall.
13. New establishments of Registrar, Controller of Examinations and Treasurer of kemunew, Lahore.
All Department will be headed by “Related Experts” appointed as Directors, with sufficient resources (Equipment and Staff) to manage their affairs independently; and by integrating the related teachers of kemunew in Ex-officious capacity to ensure efficient integration of knowledge.
Development plan of King Edward Medical University, Lahore; and its Attached Hospitals, Schools, Institutes and Centers.
Project Duration = 2 years
Uplifting and Capacity Building of Existing Basic Science Labs., Academic, Clinical and Research Programs + Building New Library, I.T. Dept., Examination Dept., Dept. of R & D in Medical Education, Admin. Offices, Faculty Lounge & Offices, Guest Rooms, Meeting, Teaching Rooms & Examination Hall.+ Building of Institute of Preventive Health, Set Standards (Academics, Clinical Services, Behaviors) & Cont. Operations;
Optimizing the Operations & Quality Assurance with value additions.
Constructing New Building Block
Sr.No Names of the Schemes Development Budget (Millions) Recurring Budget
1. Uplifting of basic Sciences laboratories (Pathology) 45.731 9.534
2. Uplifting of Basic Sciences laboratories (Biochemistry and Physiology) 35.480 1.8593
3. Uplifting of Basic Sciences Laboratories (Anatomy and Pharmacology) 46.121 00
4. Institute of Nursing 200.00 10.00
5. Institute of paramedical Sciences 100.00 10.00
6. New Building,
Block kemunew, 1,80,000 sq ft 200.00 10.00
7. Computerization of kemunew & Allied Hospitals 100.00 10.00
8. Department of information Technology 35.00 10.00
9. Department of Research & Development in Education. 10.00 05.00
10. Department of standardization and Quality Assurance 5.00 03.00
11. Department of Cell Biology Tissue Culture and Genetics. 10.00 05.00
12. Implementation of COME Modern Curriculum for MBBS Course. 37.00 07.00
13. Experimental Animal House with Experimental Labs, Operation Theatres for Skill Training And Research (STAR) Programs. 500.00 10.00
14. Uplifting of Education Technology Equipments. 10.00 10.00
15. Traumatology (Accident & Emergency Care), Education of Health Care Workers, Establishment of Trauma Registry and management. 15.00 15.00
16. Uplifting of Transport Services for Community Health Education. 15.00 05.00
17. Uplifting of Library 50.00 20.00
18. Institute of Preventive Health
19. Establishment of Controller Examination, kemunew
20. Establishment of Registrar kemunew
21. Establishment of Treasurer kemunew
22. Diabetes Management Center 06.00 00
23. Department of Tissue Banking
Oath of Medical and Dental Practitioners Approved by Pakistan Medical & Dental Council 25th August 2002.
At the time of being admitted a member of the medical and dental professions:
• I solemnly pledge myself to consecrate my life to the service of humanity;
• I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude that is their due;
• I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity;
• The health of my patient will be my first consideration;
• I will respect the secrets, which are confided in me, even after the patient has died;
• I will maintain by all means in my power, the honor and the noble traditions of the medical profession;
• My colleagues will be my sisters and brothers; and will pay due respect and honour to them.
• I will not permit considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient;
• I will protect human life in all stages and under all circumstances, doing my utmost to rescue it from death, malady, pain and anxiety. To be, all the way, an instrument of Allah’s mercy, extending medical care to near and far, virtuous and sinner and friend and enemy.”
• I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon my honor.
Following Programs are currently offered at “Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry” of the University of the Punjab and so far Principal kemunew in the past / Vice Chancellor kemunew at present is acting as the Dean of Faculty and Chairman of Board of Studies in Medicine & Dentistry. Candidates are enrolled in different programs and are at various stages of Education. All programs will be offered at King Edward Medical University, Lahore and candidates from University of the Punjab will be transferred to the kemunew.
I). Graduate Programs.
2. B.Sc Nursing
3. B.Sc. Medical Technology
i). B.Sc (Orthotic & Prosthetics)
ii). B.Sc (Speech Therapy)
iii). B.Sc (Vision Science Technologists)
iv). B.Sc (Cardiovascular Perfusion Technologist)
v). B.Sc (Laboratory Technologist)
vi). B.Sc (Radiology Technologist)
vii) B.Sc. (Radiotherapy Technologist)
viii. B.Sc (Occupation Therapist)
ix). B.Sc (Nuclear Medicine Technologist)
x). B.Sc (Anesthesia Technologist)
xi. B.Sc (Operation Theater Technologist)
xii). B.Sc (kidney Dialysis Technician)
xiii). B.Sc (Dental Technologist)
xiv). B.Sc (Medical Physics Technologist)
xv). B.Sc (Physiotherapy)
xvi). B.Sc (Medical Information Technologist)
xviii). B.Sc (Diabetes Technologist)
xix). B.Sc (Food & Nutrition Technologist)
xx) B.Sc (Pulmonology Technologist)
II. Postgraduate Diploma Programs (Minor Qualification Minimum Duration One Year)
i). Dermatology DIP. Derm (kemunew)
ii) Neurology D.N. (kemunew)
iii) Urology D.U (kemunew)
iv) T.B. Chest Disease D.T.C.D (kemunew)
v) Psychiatry D. Psych (kemunew)
vi) Preventive Pediatrics D.P.P. (kemunew)
vii) Pediatric Surgery D.P.S. (kemunew)
viii) Orthopaedics D. Orth (kemunew)
ix) E.N.T D.L.O (kemunew)
x) Eye D.O (kemunew)
xi) Pathology D.P.C (kemunew)
xii) Cardiology D.I.P Card (kemunew)
xiii) Radiology D.R. (kemunew)
xiv) Obstetrics and Gynaecology D.G.O. (kemunew)
xv) Oncology and Radiotherapy D.O.R (kemunew)
xvi) Maxillofacial Surgery D.M.F.S (kemunew)
xvii) Forensic Medicine D.L.O. (kemunew)
xviii) Community Medicine D.M. (kemunew)
xix) Anaestehisa D.A. (kemunew)
III. Postgraduate Master Programmes (Medium Qualification Minimum Duration Two Years)
i). M.Sc. in all Clinical Subjects of Diploma Programs mentioned at Para –II
ii). M.Phil in Basic Medical / Dental, Nursing and Allied Health Sciences.
IV) MD / MS /MDS (Major Qualification- Minimum Duration Four Years
i) MD. (Medicine and allied Subject)
i) MD (Internal Medicine)
ii) MD (Psychiatry)
iii) MD (Neurology )
iv) MD (Paediatrics)
v) MD (Clinical Physiology and Biochemistry)
vi) MD (Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics)
vii) MD (Dermatology)
viii) MD (Advanced Pathology and Bacteriology)
ix) MD (Hematology)
x) MD (Pulmonology including Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases)
xi) MD (Gasteronterology)
xii) MD (Endocrinology)
xiii) MD (Cardiology)
xvi) MD (Radiology)
xv) MD (Oncology /Radiology)
xvi) MD (Nephrology)
xvii) MD (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation)
xviii) MD (Hospital Administration)
xix) MD (Preventive Paediatrics)
xx) MD (Preventive Medicine)
ii) M.S. (Surgery and Allied Subjects)
i) MS (General Surgery)
ii) MS (Orthopaedic Surgery)
iii) MS (obstetric & Gynaecology)
iv) MS (Ophthalmology)
v) MS (Ear, Nose, Throat(E.N.T)
vi) MS (higher Anatomy)
vii) MS (Neurosurgery)
viii) MS (Thorasic Surgery)
ix) MS (Cardiac Surgery)
x) MS (Urology)
xi) MS (Anaesthesia)
xii) MS (Plastic Surgery)
xiii) MS (Cardiology)
xvi) MS (Radiology)
xv) MS (Oncology /Radiology)
xvi) MS (Nephrology)
xvii) MS (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation)
xviii) MS (Hospital Administration)
xix) MS (Preventive Paediatric)
xx) MS (Preventive Medicine)
iii). M.D.S (Dental Science)
i) MDS (oral andmaxillofacial Surgery)
ii) MDS (Prosthodontics)
iii) MDS (Orthodonitis)
iv) MDS (Operative Surgery in Crown and bridge)
v) MDS (Oral Medicine and periondotology)
V) M.PHIL LEADING TO Ph.D (MAJOR QUALIFICATION – MINIMUM DURATION FIVE YEAR)
i) M.Phil ( Basic Sciences)
i) M.Phil (Anatomy)
ii) M.Phil (morbid Anatomy and Histopathology)
iii) M.Phil (Microbiology)
iv) M.Phil (Physiology)
v) M.Phil (Biochemistry)
vi) M.Phil (Forensic Medicine and Toxicology )
vii) M.Phil (Pharmacology)
viii) M.Phil (Medical Virology)
ix) M.Phil (Immunology and Serology)
x) M.Phil (Chemical Pathology
xi) M.Phil (Community Medicine)
ii) Dental Sciences
i) M.Phil (Science of Dental Material)
ii) M.Phil (Oral Anatomy, Physiology and histology)
iii) M.Phil (Oral Pathology)
iii) M.Phil (Community Medicine)
VI) Ph.D PROGRAMMES (MAJOR ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION MINIMUM DURATION THREE YEAR)
For candidates who have already achieved one major qualification i.e. MD/DS/MDS/M.Phil/FCPS and equivalent foreign qualifications.
i). Basic Sciences
ii) Morbid Anatomy and histopathology
vi). Forensic Medicine and Toxicology
viii) Medical Virology
x) Pathology (Hematology)
xi) Pathology (Chemical Pathology)
xii) Community Medicine
ii). Clinical Medical Science
ii) Internal Medicine
iv) Tropical Disease and Helminthology
v). Pediatrics (Disease of Children)
vi). Advanced Physiology and Biochemistry
vii) Advanced Pharmacology and Therapeutics
ix) Tuberculosis and Chest Disease
xi) Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases
Xix Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
iii). General Surgery
i) General Surgery
ii) Orthopedics (orthopedics,Trauma and Rehabilitation Surgery)
iii) Obstetric and Gynecology
v). Ear, nose and Throat (ENT)
vi). Higher Anatomy
viii) Thoracic Surgery
ix) Cardiac Surgery
xii) Pediatric Surgery
iv). Dental Science
Basic Dental Sciences
i) Science Dental material
ii) Oral Anatomy, physiology and Histology
iii) Oral Pathology
iv) Community Dentistry
Clinical Dental Sciences
i) Oral and Maxilofacial Surgery
iv) Operative Dentistry including Crown and bridge
v). Oral Medicine and Periondotology
Allied Health Sciences
ii) Hospital Administration
iii) Hospital Management Science
v). Physiotherapy and occupational Therapy
Vi) Medical and Orthopedic Technologies.
EACH PATIENT HAS A BODY AND A SOUL TEACHERS AND HEALTH CARE PROVIDES
AT kemunew AND ATTACHED HOSPITALS KNOW IT HENCE AT kemunew PATIENT FOCUSED EDUCATION AND HEALTH CARE SERVICES ARE OFFERED.
Education, Research and Health Care Services at King Edward Medical University and attached hospitals, involve around the patients problems. The patients illness and spiritual needs get the attention of our teachers, managing physicians and surgeons, trainee doctors, nurses, technologists, technicians, paramedics and supporting staff.