Dr Shahida Niazi
Head of Department/Chairperson
History and Introduction
After the creation of Pakistan, the Department of Pathology was left with Khan Bahadur Yaqoob Khan, an Assistant Professor of Pathology who was later on promoted as Professor and Head of the Department. In addition Dr. Abdul Majeed Khan being a senior Demonstrator was later promoted as Assistant Professor. On transfer of Dr. Abdul Majeed Khan, Dr. Abdul Hameed Sheikh, Assistant Professor was promoted as Professor of Pathology, King Edward Medical College, Lahore in 1952. During the tenure of Prof.Abdul Hameed Sheikh, the department made a visible progress. Four additional posts of Assistant Professors were created one in each speciality of pathology making a total of five Assistant Professors in this department. Prof. Abdul Hameed Sheikh retired in 1968 and was succeeded by Prof. M.A. Farooki who retired in 1973 when Prof. Zafar ul Aziz became the Professor of Pathology. After the retirement of Prof. Zafar ul Aziz in 1983, the department was headed by Prof. Shamim Raza Bukhari. She worked until June 1985 when Prof. A.H.Nagi was posted to head this department. A second chair of professor of pathology was created in mid eighties. Prof.Tayyab , Prof. A. Hayee and Prof. G.R.Qureshi have been the incumbents of this post. Prof. I. A. Naveed took over as head of Pathology Department from Prof. A.H.Nagi in 1998 and served till March, 2006 followed by Prof. Muhmmad Munir who worked as Head of Department till Feb 2013. After his retirement, Prof. Samina Naeem worked as Chairperson of Pathology Department. After her retirement in October 2013, Dr.Shahida Niazi took over the charge as Chairperson of the Department.
During 1980’s the department was partly refurnished including renovation of museum alongwith the furniture which was made of teakwood. The west verandah of the department had been converted into three laboratories. All the old equipment has been replaced with new multipurpose machines. The department has been defined into Microbiology, Chemical pathology,
Histopathology and Haematology laboratories which are doing independent work.The department imparts educational training to undergraduate students as well as postgraduate students in the following programs.
2.M.Phil leading to Ph.D
5.M.Phil Chemical Pathology
10.Diploma in Clinical Pathology
1.3rd Year MBBS 2.4thYear MBBS
5.B.Sc Allied Health Sciences
- DR. SHAHIDA NIAZI Associate Professor MBBS, M.Phil
- DR. JALEES KHALID Assistant Professor MBBS, M.Phil
- DR. AHMED HAMEED Assistant Professor, MBBS, M.Phi.
- DR. AMBREEN HAMEED Assistant Professor, MBBS, FCPS
- DR. HUMAIRA RAFIQUE Assistant Professor, MBBS, DCP M.Phil, FCPS.
- DR. SHAHIDA RASOOL Assistant Professor MBBS, M.Phil.
- DR. RAFIQ AHMAD SHAHID Assistant Professor, MBBS, M. Phil.
- DR.ZAHID MAHMOOD AKHTAR Assistant Professor(OPS), MBBS,FCPS
- DR. SHEEMA KHAN APWMO, MBBS.
- DR. SHAHID MAHMOOD APMO, MBBS.
- DR. RAANA AKHTAR APWMO, MBBS, M.Phil
- DR. ALIYA MUZAFFAR Senior Demonstrator MBBS, M. Phil-I
- DR. ZAHID SABOOR KHAN Senior Demonstrator, MBBS
- DR. KHALIL-UR-REHMAN Senior Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. ZAHID ZIA Senior Demonstrator MBBS, M.Phil-I
- DR. UMER FAROOQ Senior Demonstrator, MBBS.
- DR. SAMINA QAMAR Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS
- DR. SARA IQBAL CH Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. M. ASIF NAVEED Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. HAJRAH SYNDEED Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. RAFEEDA MAAB Demonstrator MBBS, M.Phil-I
- DR. QURAT-UL-AIN Demonstrator MBBS
- DR. NASIR KARIM Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. M. FAISAL BASHIR Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. ASAD AHMAD SHABBIR Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. SHAHZAD AHMAD Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. MARYAM SHEIKH Demonstrator MBBS
- DR. MADIHA ARSHAD Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. JAVARIA MASOOD MIRZA Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR ANUM HAIDER Demonstrator MBBS, M.Phil-I
- DR. ROMAISA NAEEM Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR AMMARAH SHARIF Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR GULZAIB PERVAIZ Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR UMERA SALEEM Demonstrator MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR GHAZIA FATIMA Demonstrator MBBS, M.Phil-I
- DR. NADA SIKANDAR Postgraduate Trainee MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. YASMEEN BATOOL Postgraduate Trainee MBBS, FCPS – I
- DR. HAFIZ TARIQ RAFIQUE Postgraduate Trainee MBBS, FCPS – I
- DR. QURAT-UL-AIN Postgraduate Trainee MBBS, FCPS – I
- DR. SAFEENA SARFARAZ Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. SIDRA ASLAM RANA Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. HUMA SHEIKH Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. SARAH IKRAM Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. ARSALA RASHID Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR. MEHWISH MUSTAFA Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, M. Phil -I
- DR. M. KALEEM KHAN Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, M. Phil -I
- DR. MUHAMMAD MAZHAR Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, M. Phil -I
- DR. MUHAMMAD SHABBIR Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, M. Phil -I
- DR. M. BILAL PASHA Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, M. Phil -I
- DR. HUMA MUZAMMIL Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, M. Phil -I
- DR. DILSHAD AHMAD Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, M. Phil -I
- DR. SIDRA SHAUKAT Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, M. Phil -I
- DR. SHABIR Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, M. Phil -I
- DR NADEEM SAFDAR Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS
- DR ALI AFZAL Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, M. Phil -I
- DR FAUZIA FATIMA Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS
- DR. M. LATIF Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS,
- DR. ABDUAL QAYYUM Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS
- DR.KANWAL SABA Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, M. Phil -I
- DR SABILA Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, FCPS -I
- DR.RAMISHA ZAHID Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS, FCPS-I
- DR QUDSIA Postgraduate Trainee, MBBS
- DR M.A. TAHIR MBBS
- MR. SHAKOOR(Biochemist)
- MISS. SHAFAQ DASTGEER Postgraduate Trainee
- MISS. RIDA AHMAD Postgraduate Trainee, M. Phil –I
- M. TARIQ (Artist)
Laboratory Services Provided by the Department
A large number of laboratory investigations, both specialized and routine, are carried out in the department for patient care as well as educational training and research activities.
Histopathology section provides the service of FNAC and cytology in addition to tissue biopsies. It caters to a large number. of patients referred from various departments of Mayo hospital (General Surgery, Neurosurgery, Urology,Ophthalmology, Dermatology, Pediatric Surgery) and its affiliated hospitals including Lady Willingdon Hospital and Lady Aitchison Hospital. In the year 2013 the total number of these tests were 14,266.
Hematology section offers wide range of the facilities. Bone marrow aspiration , trephine biopsies and a number of special stains are available for the diagnosis of various hematological diseases. Coagulation Studies include PT, APTT, Mixing Studies, Fibrinogen assay and FDPs. Bleeding time has been standardized in the laboratory and is performed by a doctor. CBC which is considered to be a routine test becomes a specialized investigation in our set up as majority of the cases are from Oncology ward and cases with hematological disorders from medical and other wards. As a result all the peripheral blood smears are reported by the doctors in the section. Cell counts are being carried out on Sysmex KX 21. Numerous other investigations are done including RBC morphology, Reticulocyte count, Coombs test, Osmotic Fragility,nd Heinz body test, etc. The total number of tests performed in hematology section were 82,900 in the year 2013.
Chemical pathology section offers a wide range of tests including Blood Sugar, LFTs, Cardiac enzymes, Electrolytes, Lipid profile and HCV ELISA and numerous others. The laboratory is equipped for automation with instruments like Microlab, Beckman Coulter CX-Pro. The total number of various tests performed in year 2013 in this section were 73,880.
Microbiology laboratory carries out culture sensitivity tests on various specimens like pus, sputum, throat swab, stool, HVS and fluids. Fluid examinations include CSF, ascitic, pleural, vitreous and pericardial fluids. Serological tests HBsAg, Widal test, RA factor, ANA, ASOT, RPR are also performed. Routine urine and stool examination are also done. Microbiology section performed a total of 24,190 different tests in the year 2013.
Extension of facilities for other specialized tests is being planned. These include Hb electrophoresis, Flowcytometry and Immunomarkers of biopsy specimens and hormone assays.
PCR lab has been established in the department in 2009 for Influenza Surveillance Project of NIH in collaboration with CDC, USA. A program for diagnosis of various subtypes of Hepatitis (A, B, C, D, E) by ELIZA technique is also running in collaboration with NIH and USAID.
Academic and Research Activities
The Department of Pathology has always been playing an active role in research and academics. It has the the honour of arranging many international and national conferences of Pathology in collaboration with Pakistan Association of Pathologists (PAP 1991, 2001, & 2009) and Pakistan Society of Haematology (PSH 2013). Numerous national workshops and symposia of Haematology and Histopathology as well as various other subspecialties of pathology are frequently held been held. These have immensely helped the PG trainees from all over Pakistan and duly appreciated by them.
Department of Hematology and Histopathology have been recognized as centres for FCPS training since 1975. Till now, 22 FCPS candidates of Pathology Department , KEMU have been declared successful. Academic activities for postgraduate training include seminars, slide sessions, journal clubs and workshops in addition to the daily hands on practical training. Undergraduate teaching and training is done by the senior and junior faculty members in lectures and practical demonstrations.
Pathology department is blessed with a vast reservoir of scientific information and data. The faculty members and postgraduate students have availed the opportunity to regularly write research papers and dissertations. Another very important service provided by the Pathology Department is to carry out the investigations required in the various research projects of the University.
Our Vice Chancellor, Prof. Dr. Faisal Masud , well known for his dynamic and visionary qualities has launched the project of computer networking which will provide the facility of online investigation requests from the wards and their online reporting from the Pathology Labs. He is also promoting research work by provision of grants. This will play a huge role in making our research work at par with international studies. Apart from this, pursuance of doctorate degrees from abroad by the faculty is also being encouraged. The Department will surely continue to make progress under his able guidance.