Mayo hospital was established in 1871. Eye and ENT department were created in the early 20th century. Eye department was separated from ENT department in 1948. Eye unit II was established in 1978 currently headed by Prof. Ch. Javed Iqbal. Institute of ophthalmology was established in 1981. It has 168 beds and facilities involving glaucoma, vitreo-retina, squint, pediatric ophthalmology, Laser facilities, refraction, pathology lab and conference room for CME.
Eye unit II is providing health care to the patients in the form of surgery, diagnostic, vitro-retinal diseases and pediatric ophthalmology department. Eye unit II also takes keen interest in providing education to the undergraduate and Post graduate students.
Service to humanity with a commitment for excellence in medical education and research, providing under and post graduates with state of the art knowledge, skills and attitude to deliver the highest standard of health care to the people and to treat and rehabilitate the patients