North Medical Ward is the latest addition in the Medical Department of Mayo hospital Lahore. It was created in 1970. Prof. Dr. Ahmed Ali was first head of this unit. At present this ward is headed by Prof.Dr.Sajid Abaidullah who joined it from 20th May 2011. It consists of male & female wards & High Dependency unit / Intensive Care Unit with total bed strength of 60. Currently 1 Associate Professor, 3 Assistant Professors, 4 Senior Registrar & 5 Senior Medical Officers are working in this unit. There are 28 Postgraduate Trainees / Medical Officers & 39 House officers in the unit. The unit handles Medical Emergency patients 36 hours a week & every 4th Sunday and offers OPD services twice a week & a High Dependency Unit round the clock.
NORTH MEDICAL WARD
PROF. DR. SAJID ABAIDULLAH
B.Sc, MBBS, FCPS (Medicine)
HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT
Prof. Dr. Sajid Abaidullah
INTRODUCTION OF DEPARTMENT
|1.||Prof.Dr. Sajid Abaidullah||Professor & Head of Department||B.Sc, MBBS, FCPS|
|2.||Dr. Somia Iqtadar||Associate Professor & Dengue Specialist||MBBS,FCPS,DEPCAM|
|3.||Dr. Quratul-Ain Tahira||Assistant Professor||MBBS, FCPS|
|4.||Dr. Sidrah Lodhi||Assistant Professor||MBBS,FCPS|
|5.||Dr. Mian Sajjad Ahmad||Assistant Professor||MBBS,FCPS|
|6.||Dr. Zafar Niaz||Assistant Professor||MBBS, FCPS|
|7.||Dr. Muhammad Kamran Yousaf||Assistant Professor||MBBS,FCPS|
|8.||Dr. Sami Ullah Mumtaz||Assistant Professor||B.Sc, MBBS, FCPS|
|9.||Dr. Ali Asad Khan||Assistant Professor||MBBS,FCPS|
|10.||Dr. Muhammad Furqan Saeed||Assistant Professor||MBBS,FCPS|
|11.||Dr. Nauman Dawood||Senior Registrar||MBBS,FCPS|
|12.||Dr. Mohsin Masud||Senior Registrar||MBBS,FCPS|
|13.||Dr.Kashif Nawaz||Senior Registrar||MBBS,FCPS|
LIST OF FCPS & MD TRAINEES:-
- Furqan Shams
- Zafar Iqbal
- Shahzad Ilyas
- Hira Bashir (MD-II)
- Sadia Dawood
- Fatima Irfan
- Maaz Ahmad (MD-II Gastroentrology)
- Shahzad Hussain
- Sadaf Rehman
- Gul Fatima
- Sheroz Azhar
- Amal Tahir
- Adnan Bashir
- Hafiz Faisal
LIST OF TRAINEES WHO PASSED FCPS MEDICINE RECENTLY:-
- Humaira Mubeen Afzal
- Mohsin Masud
- Nauman Dawood
- Kashif Nawaz
- Amina Rehman
LIST OF TRAINEES WHO PASSED IMM MEDICINE RECENTLY:-
- Shahzad Aslam
- Yasir Shafi
- Raja Noman
- Asad Kamal
- Rana Shahzad
- Zafar Ullah
- Maaz Ahmad
- Shahzad Ilyas
- Narmeen Waqar
- Waqas Gulzar
LIST OF POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMS:-
- FCPS ( Internal Medicine & Gastroenterology )
- Clinical Rotations from the Medicine Sub-Specialties
LIST OF UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMMES:-
- Final Year M.B;B.S
- 4th Year M.B;B.S
- 3rd Year M.B;B.S
- 2nd Year M.B;B.S
- 1st Year M.B;B.S
LIST OF ON GOING RESEARCH PROJECTS:-
- Mean Blood Ammonia Level after treatment with Rifixamine vs. Neomycin in CLD patients presenting with Hepatic Encephalopathy. (Dr Sami Ullah Mumtaz)
- Frequency of Acute Hepatitis & its effect on outcome of Patients with Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever. (Dr Razia Amanat)
- Frequency of Non-compliance in hypertensive patients presenting to mayo hospital.( Dr Masooma Hashmat )
- Frequency of type of brady-arrythmias in acute inferior wall Myocardial Infarction.( Ch.M.Kalimullah)
- Hyperuricemia as an independent risk factor for ACS in patients without metabolic syndrome.( Dr Nauman Dawood )
LIST OF STUDIES PUBLISHED IN MEDICAL JOURNALS:-
- Assessment of metabolic profile and body mass index in type II diabetic treated with metformin and insulin 1992.
- Serological markers of C virus infection in patients with chronic active hepatitis 1992.
- Insulin sparing effect of glibenclamide in poorly controlled type Ii diabetics and its effect on the body mass index 1993.
- Cutting needle thyroid biopsy in the pre-operative evaluation of isotopically “Cold”, solitary, solid thyroid nodules 1993.
- Efficacy of alpha interferon in the treatment of hepatitis C virus positive chronic active hepatitis (CA) 1993.
- Autonomic dysfunction of GI system in diabetic population 1994.
- Chronic liver disease and pulmonary hypertension 1995.
- Role of diabetic autonomic neuropathy in the pathogenesis of dyspepsia and gastritis 1996.
- Insulin resistance and hyper-insulinemia in patients with ischaemic heart disease 1996.
- Albuminuria & cardiovascular complication 1996.
- Acarbose: New trend in the management of NIDDM 1997.
- Electrical stimulation in low back pain management 1998.
- Evaluation of cardiovascular risk factors in patients with essential hypertension 1999.
- Postural backache and its prevention 1999.
- Social loss brought by low back pain. Journal of Neurological Surgery 1999.
- Role of ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in diagnosing white coat hypertension. Annals of KEMC 1999.
- Characteristics of diabetic patients and pattern of diabetic complications Annals of KEMC 2000.
- Mode of presentation of for the first dialysis in the haemodialysis unit of East Medical Ward, Mayo Hospital, Lahore. Annals of KEMC 2000.
- Exercise therapy in low back pain. Annals of KEMC 2000.
- Complications developed in spinal cord injured and physiotherapy. Annals of KEMC 2001.
- Prospective study of patients with Guillian Barre syndrome treated with positive pressure ventilation. Pakistan Journal of Neurology 2001.
- Role of ACE inhibitor on glycaemic control in type II diabetes with hypertension Annals of KEMC 2001.
- Incidence of Hepatopulmonary syndrome in Cirrhosis of Liver, Annals of King Edward Medical University Nazeefa Barlas, Javed Akram, Sajid Abaidullah 2004.
- Atrial fibrillation in mitral stenosis and its correlation with age, sex & clinical Symptoms. Annals of KEMC 2005.
- Hepatitis B virus: Old, new and future approaches to antiviral treatment. Pakistan Journal of Gastroenterology. Volume 19, No. 1, March 2005.
- Early Aspirin administration in patients of acute myocardial infarction, who received thrombolytic/fibrinolysis therapy later on in emergency department-a clinical audit. Annals of KEMC, July 2005.
- Atrial fibrillation in mitral stenosis and its correlation with mitral valve area and left atrial thrombus., (Bio-Medica)Issue-II, 2005.
- Mortality review of diabetic ketoacidosis in East Medical Ward. Bio-Medica; Issue-II, 2005.
- Randomized comparative study of oral ofloxacin versus intravenous cefotaxime in spontaneous bacterial peritonitis. Pakistan Journal of Gastroenterology, October 2005.
- A Medical Audit on Management Protocol of Diabetic Ketoacidosis in East Medical Ward. Annals of KEMC, 2005.
- Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus compared to healthy Pakistani adults have impaired flow mediated dilatation at similar body mass indices: Ali Jawa, Babar Rizvi, Zafar Niaz, Anjum Razzaq, Sajid Abaidullah, Jawad Zaheer, Mumtaz Hasan. Preliminary results of Lahore Epidemiological Adult Population-Brachial Artery Reactivity (LEAP-BAR) Study. Poster Abstract presented at International Diabetes Federation Meeting 3-7 December 2006 at Cape town, South Africa.
- Flow mediated dilatation and nitroglycerine dependent dilatation profile of healthy Pakistani subjects: Preliminary results of Lahore Epidemiological Adult Population-Brachial Artery Reactivity (LEAP-BAR) Study. Ali Jawa, Zafar Niaz, Babar Rizvi, Sajid Abaidullah, Jawad Zaheer, Mumtaz Hasan. Presented Oral Abstract on December 6, 2006 during International Diabetes Federation Meeting 3-7 December 2006 at Cape town, South Africa.
- Prevalence of Erectile Dysfunction in Pakistani subjects with and without type 2 diabetes: Preliminary results of Lahore Epidemiological Adult Population-Erectile Dysfunction (LEAP-ED) study. Zafar Niaz, Ali Jawa, Babar Rizvi, Anjum Razzaq, Asim Shahzad, Sajid Abaidullah, Mumtaz Hasan, Presented poster abstract at Pakistan Endocrine Society Meeting September 4-5, 2006 at Karachi, Pakistan.
- Efficacy of intravenous Octreotide in early Variceal Rebleeding following Sclerotherapy ,Jawad Zaheer, Sajid Abaidullah, Waseem Ahsen, Mumtaz Hasan. Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences, Vol. 2, Jan-Mar 2008.
- A Non-invasive Parameter to Predict Esophageal Varices in Cirrhosis due to Hepatitis C virus. Journal of Fatima Jinnah Medical College, Lahore, Pakistan. Vol. 2, Issue-4. Oct-Dec. 2008.
- Determining the association between retinopathy and metabolic syndrome in patients with Type-2 diabetes mellitus visiting Mayo Hospital, Lahore. Annals of King Edward Medical University, Lahore. Vol. 16, Issue 2. Apr-Jun. 2010.
- Syndrome X (Metabolic Syndrome) and Diabetic Retinopathy: A comparative study in type-2 diabetes mellitus patients. Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences. Vol. 5, Apr-Jun., 2011.
- Identification of Non-Endoscopic Predictors of Esophageal Varices in Cirrhosis. Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences. Vol. 5, Apr-Jun., 2011.
- Predictors of Complications of Tuberculous Meningitis. Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences. Vol. 5, Apr-Jun., 2011.
- Non-Endoscopic Predictors of Esophageal Varices in Cirrhosis. Pakistan Journal of Gastroenterology. Vol. 25, No. 1. Oct. 2010 (Bi-manual March 2011).
- Microalbuminurea in Stage 2 Hypertensive Patients with Left Ventricular Hypertrophy, Somia Iqtadar, Sajid Abaidullah, Ali Asad Khan, Annals of King Edward Medical University, Lahore. Vol. 17, Issue 4. Oct-Dec, 2011.
- Frequency of Low Calcium Intake, a Risk Factor for Development of Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Pakistani Women, Maimoona Ghias, Somia Iqtidar, Sajid Abaidullah, Pakistan Journal of Medical & Health Sciences, Vol.6, Jul.-Sept., 2012.
- Frequency of Asymptomatic Dengue Infections in Health Care Professionals of Pakistan,Sajid Abaidullah, Somia Iqtadar, 44th APACPH Conference, Bandaranaike Memorial International Conference Hall Colombo, Srilanka, 13-18 October, 2012.
- SAAG Ratio as Predictor of Esophageal Varices in Patients with Cirrhosis and Ascites, Momin Ali, Zafar Niaz, Sajid Abaidullah, The Pakistan Journal of Gastroenterology, Vol. 26, No:2 and Vol.27, No. 1, 2013.
- Specificity of Hess test as a marker of DHF. Somia Iqtadar , Sami Ullah Mumtaz , Sajid Abaidullah , Razia Amanat, Mohsin Masud ,Singapore Conference on Dengue & Infectious Diseases 2012.
- Study of frequency and responsible factors for post stroke depression in patients of stroke coming to Mayo Hospital Lahore Umair Javaid Ch, Salman S Osman, Somia Iqtadar, Waleed Zafar, Sana Shakil, Zunaira Zahoor, Javed Akram et al Annals of KEMU Jan ;12(2):299-301.
- The prevalence of renal complications in type- 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Asim Saleem Sheikh, Asaad Akbar Khan, Umer Najib , Sarmad Waqas , Imran Ali Shah, Hammad N. Qureshi,Taimoor Hashim, Sana Shakeel, Somia Iqtadar, Zunera Zahoor and Shahnaz Javed Khan et al Pakistan Postgraduate Medical Journal2005; 16(1): 13-16).
- Association of risk factors with Lung Cancer Umair Javaid Chaudhary, Umer Najib, Somia Iqtadar, Waqar Hasan, Shehla Gulzar, Maaz Ahmed. et al Annals of KEMC, 2002; 8(4): 261-262.
- Unhappy doctors in Pakistan: What are the causes and what can be done? Nazish Imran, Imran Ijaz Haider, Somia Iqtadar, Muhammad Riaz Bhatti et al Pak J Med Sci April – June 2011 27 No. 2 244-247.
- Frequency of low calcium intake a risk factor for development of Metabolic syndrome and type 2 Diabetes mellitus in Pakistani women ,Somia Iqtadar ,Annals of KEMU 2013.
LIST OF BOOKS PUBLISHED:-
- A Handbook on Dengue Fever “HUM AUR DENGUE “ by Somia Iqtadar, Associate Professor , North Medical Ward, Mayo Hospital Lahore, Pakistan. Published by King Edward Medical University/Mayo Hospital Lahore 2012.
- Epidemiology, Pathogenesis & complications of Ulcerative Colitis edited by Mortimer B. O’ Connot, Zafar Niaz, Assistant Professor, North Medical Ward, Mayo Hospital Lahore, Pakistan. www.intechopen.com, published by inTech, Janeza Trdine 9, 51000, Rijeka, Croatia, November, 2011.
HEALTH SERVICES / STATE OF ART FACILITIES
LIST OF SERVICES PROVIDED IN THE WARD:-
- Acute Medical emergencies & out-patient cases are admitted & managed.
- State of the art High Dependency / Intensive care facilities available.
- State of the art Upper & Lower GI Endoscopic facilities available twice a week. (Monday & Thursday)
- Procedures like sclerotherapy and band legation are carried out as necessary.
- Bronchoscopy is carried off in patients on demand basis.
- The unit not only caters for its admitted and out patients but entertains call for other departments.
- Regular teaching is carried during these procedures to the attending Post Graduate Trainee and house officer on duty in the section.
TEACHING SHEDULE OF PGRS & HOUSE OFFICERS:-
- Indoor Bedside learning during clinical rounds on daily basis.
- Journal Club/Clinical guidelines classes are conducted every Monday.
- Clinical Methods class is conducted on every Friday.
- Mortality & Morbidity Conference is conducted on every Tuesday.
- Monthly Clinical evaluations are carried out on regular basis at the end of every month.
- This excellent teaching program has raised the unit at TOP MERIT amongst the the recent inductions of House Officers & PGRs.
BEST PGRS & HOUSE OFFICER OF THE MONTH AWARD
Best House Officer & PGR Award is given at the end of every month on the basis of performance, hard work, behavior and clinical evaluation score.