Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC) is operational at the King Edward Medical University. ORIC was established at the University with the approval of syndicate a propos guidelines of the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Islamabad for all Universities/DAIs of Pakistan to establish “Offices of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC)”.
Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC) provides end to end services for all matters pertaining to research & development, innovation, Inventions, commercialization, patents, collaborations, arranging seminars/ colloquia/ symposium/ conferences/ workshops, etc and/or research publication honorarium. By and large Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC) is the focal point for all research related activities of the University. ORIC facilitates the University researchers (faculty members and scholars) to promote their research work both nationally and internationally. To this effect, this office has facilitated number of researchers to present their research papers in international conferences, hold seminars/conferences/workshops etc. as well as with the submission and approval of different research & development projects both nationally and internationally.
The Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC) aims to:
- Supporting the university’s strategic research directions and policies
- Increasing and diversifying external research funding
- Improving integration of research and education at all levels of the university
- Improving translation of research into the public benefit
- Strengthening university-industry relationships
- Promoting entrepreneurship, technology-transfer and commercialization activities that energize and support the local and national economy
- Promoting and enhancing cross-cutting and multi-disciplinary research initiatives
Key mission of ORIC is to research in areas of national importance in biomedical sciences.
- ORIC is the hub of research in KEMU
- An engine of promoting cutting edge research at KEMU
Research Operations and Development
The Research Office supports the externally and internally sponsored projects of the institution by providing pre- and post-award support to PIs and ensuring compliance with Temple and sponsor regulations.
MANAGER RESEARCH OPERATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT:
The person will work in close liaison with the board of advance studies and research or office of sponsored research.
- Develop, maintain, and communicate pre- and post-award administrative procedures for externally sponsored projects.
Support faculty with grant proposal submissions in conjunction with Sponsored Projects Administration (budget development; award documentation; administrative portions of proposals; internal approvals; monitor issues around effort, cost share, space needs, and tuition remission)
- Support faculty regarding contracts, progress reports, NCEs, and other sponsor-related grant actions.
Support faculty regarding post-award grant management, including projections, effort allocations and reporting, human resources, consultants, and close-outs.
- Coordinate internal and external reporting needs, including maintenance of HEI’s database.
Develop and maintain the award process web pages.
- Work with the Director of Research Strategy to set goals and responsibilities within the research office and to monitor procedural efficiencies.
- The Manager of Research Development provides overall vision to the institute research portfolio. Develop programs and activities that will increase funding for research from all public and private sources, establish and maintain excellent relationships with donors and stakeholders, oversee proposal development and submission
- Develop and maintain research cores and infrastructure within the institute including web pages, internal grant review procedures, and statistical support.
- Oversee all aspects of the operation and development of the ORIC including research administration.
(Budgeting, auditing and accounting, human resources, management and maintenance of facilities and equipment, implementation of research contracts and human resources).
Industrial Linkages and Technology Transfer
Manager of University-Industrial Linkages and Technology Transfer (full time) Promote the development of public-private partnerships in support of university research, link the university’s research community with the needs and priorities of the corporate sector, develop opportunities for applied research and explore opportunities for technology transfer and the commercialization of university research.
Higher Education Commission
The Research Grants Program provides financial support for research in all disciplines of biomedical sciences. Duration of a research grant is two to three years. The researcher is entitled to scientific apparatus/equipment, laboratory supplies and consumables, utilities, special literature, online literature and other items that may be needed for the research project; honoraria for the principal investigator (and co principal investigator, if justified), salaries of research associate(s) and supporting staff travel within the country for project-related activities.