The Department of Pathology is a part of the prestigious institute, King Edward Medical University, Lahore. The department is well equipped with the facility to cater for training and research leading to higher qualifications such as M.Phil, FCPS and Ph.D. The Department is also conducting courses such as MLT, DPT and B.Sc OTT. Being an integral part of the University, this Department is centre of providing teaching and learning and research facilities in Pathological sciences.
The Department of Clinical Pathology is responsible for quantitative and qualitative analysis and interpretation of patient specimens, including tissue, blood, urine, and other body fluids. The Department of Clinical Pathology has been at the forefront of introducing new testing methods for clinical and research uses at Cleveland Clinic. In addition to providing an ever-expanding menu of tests available for clinical use, Educational activities are a key component of the departmental mission. The residency training program in Clinical Pathology provides exposure to a wide array of methodologies and interpretive issues that span the discipline, augmented by didactic sessions. Members of the department are also active on various KEMU research committees.
Active participation in Modification of new Curriculum has also been a shining feature of Pathology department.
- Up- gradation of Pathology Department & Pathology lab by new and advanced equipment.
- Flow Cytometer
- Immunofluorescence microscopy
- Tissue microarray
- Lean Six Sigma Bar Coding System.
This will enable us to provide an efficient delivery system with more accurate diagnostics.
- Development of a Standard Reference Laboratory having a well trained medical staff of certified Pathologists, Technicians and Phlebotomists
- To participate in teaching & research programs of KEMU, making the department as a creative and innovative centre of excellence.
- To maintain the laboratory budget according to the approved budgetary allocation, while maintaining high standard and quality service.
- To improve consolidate approved structural changes for expansion of the pathology section.
- To continue to develop an awareness and monitor the appropriate laboratory utilization by medical staff.
- To maintain the accreditation standards of the College of American Pathologists.
- To upgrade the laboratory Information system to comply with the forthcoming new clinical information system and affect the electronic ordering system of laboratory investigation.
(Lean Six Sigma â KEMU project)
- To ensure efficient cost effective use of instrumentation and reagents within the laboratory and acquisition of the latest technology in accordance with standardization and technology procurement towards full laboratory automation where appropriate.
- To expand the molecular pathology laboratory.
The Department of Pathology, KEMU has been providing sophisticated investigations facilities to the patients both indoor and out patients including Frozen Section, Immunostains, Special stains, PCR, ELISA, Bone marrow